[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Dock and Crop Ban..Long.

  • From: "Sharon Allbright" <sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:51:56 -0700

I wish to share just a bit of experience.  My granddaughter Amy, bred and
raised a German Shepherd Dog person recently with her boy friend  bought a
lovely Dobie.  How they love him.  They took him to our many years vet who
is a professional with Dobermans and had his ears cut and wrapped as well as
his tail recut as it was very ugly evidently done by the owners.  Painful I
am sure.  But anyway after the pup had his ears done Amy brought him to me
to see and he was wonderful.  Wandered around the yard and in everyway acted
like life was good.  Also just to look at, his tail now looks splendid.
Days go by, back to the vet for follow up care, wrapping etc.  Home to show
me and once again pup is delightful and in super spirits.  Learned to sit on
command while just such a baby, sleeps in bed with his owners, spoiled
rotten but still a wonderful happy outgoing puppy. I will never for a minute
deny this pup must have had some pain but you would never know it.
Now another story.  Years ago Amy's mother went to the pound to get a kitten
and came home with an adult cat who already had her toenails removed.  A
lovely cat.  As life sometimes goes I am now the owner of this cat.  She is
12 years old now.  A sweet fat happy cat.  Never a problem with HER wrecking
the furniture.  But I also have another cat who has his claws!  I am always
cutting them as he thinks the furniture is here for just his pleasure.
Would I have his nails removed? No! But would I support a bill that makes it
illegal? Never?  Same as the Doberman bill.  Amy's dog is living proof if
done well and with a respected knowledgeable vet it can be done in a very
humane way.
Sharon Allbright