[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Breed coverage at Westminster

  • From: Mary Ward <mlward@xxxxxxxxxx>(by way of Mary Tripp <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
  • To: show gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:17:16 -0600

Note: forwarded message attached.
From: Rodilabs2@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:54:01 EST
Subject: Breed coverage at Westminster
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Hello

Ijust received this message from a local dog group.  Thought I would
share, this is great news for those of us who can't make the show.  Some of
you may already know this but thought I would pass it a long to those of
you who didn't

Subject: Conform:  Breed Coverage Westminster

A clarification from David Frei--

We have had, to put it mildly, an enthusiastic response to our
announcement
about our plans to put streaming video coverage of the Westminster
breed
competition on our web site. Thanks for your support. As I was
writing
something in reply to a media inquiry, I thought it would be good to
share it with all of you.

For years, of course, we have been asked if we would ever be able to
televise the breed competition. With 2,500 dogs, two days of judging,
6-7
rings going at the same time, we just didn't really have a way to do
it.Then
along came streaming video and we were able to come up with a clear
vision
of how we wanted to do it. Then along came DreamWorks
as our partner, and that made it a reality. We want to emphasize that
we are
shooting highlights of the breed judging. You're not going to see
each and
every dog like you would in the videos that people shoot at
specialties. We
will try to show every dog as they come in the ring and then the
final
judging as the judge works his / her final choices.
We will complement that with the online catalog and a listing of the
final results.

With 165 breeds and varieties, entries from 3 to 53, we will strive
to be consistent in what we do. At the most, we are talking about 10-
12 minutes for any breed.
Anything more would just not be possible ... multiply 10-12 minutes
times
165,  you're talking about 30+ hours of video, andFwd Breed coverage at
Westmins.ems it becomes a
question of band
width.

And yes, we also will include Juniors in the coverage, of course.

We were pretty sure that we needed to have shooters that understand
dog
shows, so we wouldn't have to surround good shooters with dog people
who
could say, "Now the judge is about to make a cut; now the judge is
picking
his/her Best of Opposite Sex," etc.
Chris Terrell is heading up the crew of shooters. Chris, of course,
was the
breeder-owner-handler of Pepsi, the BIS Afghan at Westminster in
1983.In his
other life, he is an internet media genius with a very successful
company in
Anacortes WA.

Ron Bigford, who has been handling Basenjis and Salukis at
Westminster for
years, is another of our shooters. Ron has won an Emmy for his camera
work
on PBS. George Bell, who won the Hound Group at Westminster in 1982
with his
Saluki and has been shooting spectacular dog videos for years, is
another.
Dr Darrin Collins, saluki exhibitor and chief veterinarian at the
Woodland
Park Zoo in Seattle, is another. Alex Cartabio from Long Island and
George
Shearer from Maryland, who have been shooting dog show videos for
years,
round out the crew.

Karolynne McAteer, Sporting dog judge and Irish Setter breeder, with
significant experience in the television production world, is the
project
supervisor.So that's the basic deal. Obviously, it's the first year
and we
will be learning as we go. Thanks for your support ... and tell your
friends!

(that means cross post is OK).

David Frei

The Westminster Kennel Club