[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw:..( pup who can't open her mouth)

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:18:55 -0800

This is a new one on me.    This is from a friend who knows these people with
the young bitch from their
Canine Good Citizen group.....
Always something new to learn or worry about.........   Anyone ever heard of
this??
When I heard about it all I could think of was to suggest it might be 'lock
jaw'........which you never hear
of any more.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

This is from my friend who bought the very pretty German Bitch at 6 months.
Very reputable breeder.  They had her for a week
and noticed that she did not open her mouth very much.  They even put her under
anesthesia and cannot open it more than 2 inches.  She manages to eat and play.
 The breeder will take her back and replace her, however, they will put her
down.
........ is waiting for the blood results that they sent off to the University
(Vet school in ......) She is now on prednisone which is suppose to cure it,
however ..........  She is probably the most beautiful German bitch I have ever
seen and they were very
serious about breeding her.    I will let you know what the tests result in.
They will keep her until this is resolved one way
or another.  If she cannot have a quality life, they will put her down.
  Just thought you would like the information.     Will keep you informed.  She
does not have lock Jaw.

  Dear .......
  Thank you for calling and expressing your concern.  It means a lot.  We are
very worried about our little puppy.  One of the tests that they have done is
for Masticatory Muscle Myositis.  If you google this, many articles come up.
 One website that I copied some information from is as follows:
  vetneuromuscular.ucsd.edu/publications/Melmed.pdf
  If you google, you will see this web-site on the first page.