[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: [ecfanciers] anybody seen this? And, is it true? Very sad.

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wjbj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:40:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 I don't know the order that they happened... A
> person with a boxer was putting his dog in the crate and a friend walked
> by and jokingly asked what he was doing to the dog, was he with PETA and
> he jokingly answered Yeah, I'm with PETA... Someone overheard and that
> is how that part got started...

 We had an incident happen to us on the way home from a specialty show
probably 20-25 years ago. I think that was long before the dog fancy was
aware of  Peta. If they were around at that time I was not aware of it.

We pulled into a drive in type place, opened up all the doors on the van ,
before we went to the window to place our order. A big rig trucker pulled in
and he immediatley confronted us about the dogs and cruelty to animals,
locked in cartes, etc. etc.
My husband was cool, and had the perfect answer he responded with "it looks
like you are a long haul dirver and have a big load." The trucker responded
with "ya, so what?"
My husband continued and explained that our dogs are our precious cargo and
having them in crates is a safety feature. He then asked the trucker what
would happen if the load on his truck shifted, with out some thing to secure
that load. The trucker then realized the point of securing the dogs in a
crate, and that this was necessary, and it was a safety issue. Turned out we
made a point, the trucker got past his anger etc. Good thing, he was a lot
bigger man than my husband..LOL.

I do find that JQ pubic for the most part seems to think that these crates
are cruel and unusual punishment. They just don't understand, not only the
safety issue, but that most dogs like their crates. It is their "den" I have
never owned a dog that did not like their crate, and often if they had free
access, in or out, I would see that after laying around loose in a hotel
room with us, they would seek out their own crate and go into it, with free
access in or out while we were in the room.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA