[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: WITH PERMISSION- Alert From DLCC & Banned Aid

  • From: "Colleen & Peter Aucoin" <aldercrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ShowGSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:39:23 -0300

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM BANNED AID - PLEASE CROSSPOST

Ontario.

 Twice the size of Texas.

 Three times the size of Germany.

 Five times the size of the United Kingdom.

 Home to a breed-specific legislative ban covering the largest geo-political
area in the world.

 A ban that discriminates not by action or deed, but by physical appearance.

 A ban that targets not only "pitbulls", American Pit Bull Terriers, American
Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers", but haunts *ANY*
pure-or-crossbred canine bearing a substantial physical resemblance to one of
the aforementioned.   The 2004 brainchild of the province's Attorney General,
Michael Bryant, the now-infamous Bill 132 was conceived as a vote-grabbing
safety measure; a poorly designed and ill-appointed law geared to target the
public's visceral fear of dog attacks.  Implemented in August of 2005,
retribution against innocent canines and their owners was swift.

Walking your pet  without a muzzle  now means  risking seizure without warrant.
 Visitors and residents alike travelling without  certified documentation face
the spectre of breed (mis)-identification looming around every corner.

 Pets showing natural protective tendencies within the boundaries of their home
turf  may now be turned in on the suspicion of being 'menacing'.  This last is
particularly frightening; simple barking at passers-by can be interpreted as
'threatening behaviour' by control officers with no training in either animal
behaviour or breed identification.  Failure to pass muster on any of the above
can and will result in a one-way trip to the official's choice of humane
society, pound or research facility.  There are few second chances.

 This  ban has raised both the conscience and ire of dog lovers from British
Columbia to Prince Edward Island .  It's not just a 'pit-bull' issue.  It's a
Rottweiler issue, a Doberman issue.  It's about Boxers and Bullmastiffs, Bull
Terriers, Neapolitan Mastiffs and Boston Terriers, Great Danes and Vizslas...
are you surprised?  These are but a handful of breeds that have come under
scrutiny and endured public censure following the implementation and subsequent
over-broad interpretation of A.G. Bryant's Bill.

 From the beginning, concerned groups and individuals questioned the
feasibility of a legal challenge - a challenge directed at the violation of
constitutional rights, yet still allowing for the punishment of those who
willfully put animals and people in harm's way.  Prominent trial and
constitutional lawyer Clayton Ruby was immediately retained.

 With the help of the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Canada, the Golden
Horseshoe American Pit Bull Terrier Club, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club
of Canada and Advocates for the Underdog, a coalition was formed including the
Dog Legislation Council of Canada and aptly named "Banned-Aid".  This group was
to play a prominent role in the ensuing months, bringing the plight of
Ontario's dogs to those who otherwise might never have considered the gravity
of the situation.  Their determination paid off; the spring of 2006 saw a trial
date set, and on May 15th, 16th and 18th, Justice T. Herman heard final
arguments from both sides in Ontario's Superior Court.

 The battle, however, is not quite over.  Government-initiated delays have
resulted in the near-doubling of our legal fees, which have long passed initial
"guesstimates" and are closing in on the 1/2 million mark.    In this we are
running out of time.  Generous time allowances by Clayton Ruby's offices have
merely slowed the inevitable, that being we *MUST* come up with $ 100,000 in
two weeks' time for this case to continue.

 The importance of being present to rebut this new motion cannot be
overestimated.   Lacking an opposing legal presence gives government lawyers
carte blanche while countering from our side greatly increases the chances of
any further introductions being struck down as frivolous.   Ruby strongly
believes this attempt to be a last-gasp 'smoke screen' effort by our
opposition, carefully orchestrated to bring us to our financial knees.  We
cannot let this happen. If we have come this far, it is in large part due to
the faith of our members, friends and allies - individuals who possess the same
gritty determination hallmarking the breeds this Bill seeks to eliminate
forever.

 We are so very, very close.  For the latest updates and news briefs, we urge
you to visit the Dog Legislation Council of Canada website at:
www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org

If you believe - as we do - that victory is a mere leash-length away, then
please help by donating to the Ontario Legal Challenge of Bill 132 through the
following agents:

Banned-Aid Coalition - www.BannedAid.com

 Send a cheque or money order payable to Banned Aid to:

 Cathy Prothro

National Secretary/Treasurer - Banned Aid Coalition

351 Pleasant Street, Dartmouth  NS  B2Y 3S4

 Mark a cheque "Banned Aid - In Trust' on the memo line; make payable to "Ruby
and Edwardh" and send to:

 Ruby and Edwardh

11 Prince Arthur Avenue, Toronto, ON  M5R 1B2

No donation is too small, no suggestion unimportant.  Each and every
contribution is humbly appreciated - indeed, more than can be possibly
expressed.  We know the dogs this saves would thank you if they could.

 Respectfully,

Banned Aid Coalition

351 Pleasant Street

Dartmouth NS  B2S 3Y4