[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: Upcoming Board elections

  • From: Kathaleen Strong <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:20:15 -0800

Terry Cochran wrote:

> I want to point this out because from Kris and Kathleen's posts it sounds like
they think that the Board acted beyond the scope of the By-Laws. I may
be wrong
but it sounds like they followed the By-Laws as written. If the
appointments
were made by the Executive committee THEN they will have to be Ratified
at the
January Board meeting.

> Is this not right??????

Technically the portion you quoted is correct, but there's more to
information that needs to be dealt with.  Firstly, the "board" has not
been given a chance to act beyond the scope of the bylaws, unless of
course they have not stood up and disallowed for these appointments to
take place.  The Executive Committee can not make appointments, nor can
the President, as the Bylaws are very clear on how chairpeople and
committees are formed.:

GSDCA Bylaws, Article IV, Section 1:

Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall be comprised of the
Officers of the Club, and fourteen ( 14) other Directors. The Officers
are elected for two-year terms. The Directors are elected for two-year
terms, seven (7) elected in alternating years. The general management of
the Club shall be entrusted to the Board of Directors.

The Key point is, that the general management is entrusted to the BOARD
OF DIRECTORS.  The Executive Committee is invoked to do business between
Board Meetings, but then only with the final approval of the entire
Board of Directors by virtue of their right to not ratify any action
taken by the Executive Committee.

GSDCA Bylaws, Article VI, Section 1:

Appointment. The Board of Directors may each year appoint chairmen and
standing committees to advance the work of the Club in such matters as
dog shows, obedience trials, and tracking tests, trophies, annual
prizes, membership, club elections, and other fields which may be well
served by committees. Such chairpersons and committees shall also be
subject to the final authority of the Board of Directors. Special
chairpersons and committees may also be appointed by the Board of
Directors.

The Key Phrase here is "Board of Directors".  This does not mean the
Exectuive Committee, it does not mean the President... it means BOARD OF
DIRECTORS.

 > If a person is going to publicly write that someone is not following
the rules to a public forum then they should Name names, and quote
verbatim from the laws which they say were not followed.

Pursuant to Membership in the GSDCA:

"I hereby make application to the above club and agree, if accepted for
membership, to abide by its Bylaws and the Bylaws of the American Kennel
Club. Upon application I will be eligible for all privileges except the
right to vote. Thirty days after my name has been published in the
Review, provided no objections have been filed, I will be granted the
right to vote."

Key Issue:  If you are a member of the GSDCA it is incumbent upon you to
read and understand the bylaws and it should not be necessary for anyone
to have to point out in detail each time there's a question.  The bylaws
are available for review to anyone, member or not, to read, and it's
available on the website.  When you become a member, you get the
membership handbook/list/rooster - and the bylaws are in there as well.
  Now, it would be nicer if the sections and articles are listed for
reference, but the truth is, our bylaws are not that big, and shouldn't
need to be quoted every time there's a question.  But then again, there
shouldn't be these questions which seem to be a reoccurring trend in the
past few years.

> And to Kathaleen define OLD GUARD ?

Those who hold the power within the club.  Those old cronies who have
been around forever, who direct traffic from behind the scenes and who
are extremely reluctant to retire from their powerbase and turn over the
direction of the club and the breed to those people who have shown a
distinct interest in doing right by the breed and the club.  Those who
do not follow the edicts of the membership and allow the club to do
directly against what the membership want.  They know who they are and
if you don't know who they are then I've underestimated you :).

> and who in the heck are you calling a Dummy?

I'm calling "a Dummy" anyone who is directed to vote in a certain manner
by another person and they do it.  Anyone who does not have the strength
of intelligence to gather their own information to make their own
decisions when it comes to this club and the sport of dogs.  Anyone who
is afraid of anyone in a seat of power within the club and are cowed to
vote as the powerful have directed.  Anyone who blindly follows what
someone else tells them without question instead of using their own
decision making process to make up their mind.  And if you read what I
wrote, you would have read that most of these people are the people who
are NOT on this list.

> I believe that this up coming Board meeting is the first time the Current
Board has met as a group. Am I wrong?  Before the Blood Letting begins
maybe
we should give the time to function.

I think what Kris was getting at in her post was this:  The Board of
Directors have not been given a chance to meet as a group and make these
important decisions BECAUSE these decisions have already been made by
the President.  The President may propose names for certain committee
chairpeople, but until those names are VOTED in and APPROVED by the
Board of Directors at January Meeting, IMO, there are no "appointments".

But then what do I know.

Kathaleen