[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: [SHOWGSD-L]wood chips

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:10:23 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/2006 1:21:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
daybreakz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

If  anyone on  the list uses wood chips in their yard during the summer
please reccommend which wood chips are best.  I just raked up all the hay  from
last year and wood like to try wood chips instead.  I have more dirt  than
grass
in my backyard and would like to have something down covering the  dirt, so
they do not bring as much mess into the house.  Thank you in  advance for any
replys.

Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann,
I am a bit behind in my e-mail but thought I would respond to your  note.  I
use wood chips - I like it because here in the south, we  get a lot of mud
with the spring and summer rains - wood chips keep the  pens dry and clean.  I
have used pine shavings but lately the local feed  store where I buy the stuff
has changed brands and the shavings are too fine and  too dusty - not good .
When this happens, I have used cedar shavings - a  bit more expensive but I
love the smell and cedar shavings are never too fine  and dusty.

A most effective wood bedding is provided when you have a tree removed, the
tree-removal companies generally offer to turn your tree into wood chips -
this  is usually a bit coarser than the cedar or wood shavings you buy in the
feed  store but it is wonderful - the best.  I just happened to have a tree
removed recently and asked them to leave me the chips.   I love  it - I am
going
to try to contact the local tree-removal companies and see if I  can regularly
buy it from them.

Dania