[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: Re: Put your seat belt on/belt is on,this is long, butI like making unpopular observations!

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

That's right - he used the traits he saw in the tending dogs and used those to
create a versatile utility breed.
Those traits - the trainability, willingness to work independently,
athleticism, endurance, and as he makes sure to point out - CHARACTER - are
what this breed is all about. Being a good Prussian he efficiently used the raw
material and selected for dogs that could be used for a variety of uses and
created tests to verify they measured up. Were it not for singlemindedness,
this breed would not have developed as rapidly as it did.
We like to say it is for herding - but actually is is from herding that this
breed was created. Those traits that make for a good tending dog should still
be there or if not, the traits that make for that utilitarian dog can not be
there either. It was little about looks at first because the utilitarian
aspects were so much more important, but once those were consistent, the looks
could be added to the list of importance.

We talk about color and gait while we tend to ignore the UTILITARIAN qualities
that make this breed what it is. That said, I would much prefer my utilitarian
dog to be really good looking.

Ruth