[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: Press Release from AKC President Ron ...

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:03:30 EDT

Cross posted with permission:
_http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=96769_
(http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=96769)

Subject: Press Release from AKC President Ron  Menaker

October 19, 2005
Dear Delegate,

Yesterday I, along  with Steve Gladstone and Jim Holt, met with Senator Rick
Santorum (R-PA) and  Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-PA), sponsors of the PAWS legislation
in the US Senate and  House of Representatives. We also met briefly with
Senator Richard Durbin, lead  Senate co-sponsor of PAWS, and then had a more
lengthy discussion with Senator  Durbinâ's Legislative Assistant.

All three legislators were very open to  the AKC's efforts to suggest
modifications to PAWS. We will work closely with  their offices over the coming
days
and weeks to develop amendments to PAWS  language that will clarify the
legislation and more clearly target those who it  was intended to cover without
putting burdens and obligations on responsible  breeders who maintain high
standards for the care and conditions of their dogs,  and on shelter and rescue
organizations.

We were extremely pleased that  all three legislators said they are very
willing to work with us and are  delighted we are part of the legislative
process.

In addition, Senator  Santorum confirmed that the Senate Subcommittee on
Research, Nutrition and  General Legislation will conduct a hearing on PAWS,
very
likely in early to  mid-November. An announcement from the Senate Committee on
Agriculture,  Nutrition and Forestry on the details of that hearing is
expected shortly and I  will certainly share them with you then.

Sincerely,
Ronald H.  Menaker

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)