[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: It's only a dog

  • From: Patricia Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Patricia Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Show List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:12:23 PM
Subject: It's only a dog

March 8, 2004, I rushed down to Mo Murklandâ??s home to see my first litter of
GSDâ??s delivered.    The mama dog cooperated and waited until I arrived
from 150 miles away to start having pups. Several hours later, number 6 was
being worked on by Mo.  Much to my surprise number 7 arrived.  Holy heck, I
caught him and ran to Mo, to hand him off.   I was blown away with the
process and actually getting the pups breathing and umbilical cords tied.  I
thought all that was mama dogâ??s work.  What a surprise.
Five weeks later, after the pups were weaned, I was â??allowedâ?? to see the
pups.  Sat down with them, arenâ??t they cute?  So playful.  Rascal, our
epi-Lab and Trouble, the German Shepherd bitch I had purchased earlier from Mo,
didnâ??t need another playmate.  No way!
On May 7th, I was on the way to Austin, so it was very logical to take a side
trip, see Mo and see the pups.   Numbers 7 came, sat on my lap, ran the other
dogs off, and choose me.  Mo told me he was her pick, and the rest is
history.  He may have been her pick, but he became my best friend.
When he first got home with us, my son brought over his Rottweiler mix, Ash, a
very dominate bitch, to meet him.  Spunk stood up, barked, and tried to back,
Ash down.  Spunkâ??s first call name was â??Ten Foot Tall and Bullet Proofâ??,
finally shortened to Spunky.
It didnâ??t take this newbie long, to see he was different that my other German
Shepherd.  He had a presence.  He strutted.  When he ran, it was poetry in
motion.  It was time to start being a show dog mom.  How did this happen?  I
never meant to show dogs.
Spunky was enrolled in beginning agility after he was locked out of the
kitchen, where I was standing, and he flat-footedly jumped on the kitchen
countertop, to get to me.  So, we enrolled in agility.  The instructor was
great.  We were to bring â??soft treatsâ?? to use to reward the dogs.  Ever
carry canned peas or green beans in a baggie, in your jeans pocket?  Not a
pretty sight, but it was what he liked.  On graduation day, he discovered the
joy of hiking his leg.  He would approach each station, hike his leg, pee, and
then perform on the agility equipment.  Between the green bean treats and the
hiking of his leg, I think the instructor appreciated him not enrolling in the
advanced session.
Amy Murkland was his first show handler.  She did a great job with him.  We
learned quickly that he loved the ring, and the ring loved him.  It was his
element.  Ross Farrell and his grandmother, Peggy Douglas noticed him at one
of the Specialty Shows.  Ross kept telling Amy to fall, he would handle him!
The next day in the ring, Ross took him in.  A dynamic duo was formed.  Ross
handled him for most of his champion points, and his 2007 Select Excellent win
at Nationals.
 I have often joked; he would follow me into hell.  He followed me into a
swimming pool 2 times, when he was being endurance trained.  I took him to a
friendâ??s pool, and he followed me right in.  He swam across, and immediately
climbed out.  I stayed in the pool, very quickly,  Spunk came back, and was
slowly coaxed into the pool.  He swam a couple more laps, and got out again.
The 3rd time, every time he got close to the pool, heâ??d grab the leash in his
mouth, and come close-but it was obvious he wasnâ??t coming in again.  It was
just as well, It took my friend three hours to clean the pool filter.  We
werenâ??t invited back.
Spunky came from a long line of therapy dogs, his grandfather, Jerry Lee, aka
Koniginâ??s Great Balls Afire,TC, CGC, TD  was honored as the  2005 GSDCA
Goodwill Ambassador,   I had spent several years taking care of my father and
seeing what a therapy dog could do.  So, we had to look in to that.  Spunky
was tested, and aced the entire process.  They tested his dog aggression with
a small dog, which he ignored.  Then they brought on a big dog, another German
Shepherd.  The two shepherds cracked everyone up.  As they passed each other,
Spunky threw out his chest, raised his head up, and you could hear him saying,
â??Iâ??m much more special than you are.â??   It was clearly said.  We
visited nursing homes and the VA Hospital, in Dallas.  He loved doing the
work, and they loved him.  We often worked with another handler that has
collies.  We would go down the halls of VA, â??thereâ??s RinTinTin and
Lassie!â??  Once, at a nursing home, we
 walked up to a man in a wheelchair.  He called Spunky over, and much to my
embarrassment, Spunky lurched, and ended up with his front paws and front half
on the manâ??s lap.  I was in the process of pulling Spunky off, and
apologizing profusely, just as the manâ??s arms went around Spunkâ??s neck and
his face was burrowed into Spunkyâ??s neck.  He said, â??this dog knows what I
needed.â??
I refused to let Spunky fly to the 2007 Nationals, unless he flew in the cabin
with me.  I even considered wearing dark sunglasses, and pretending I was
blind, and he was a lead dog.  So, we drove.  His breeder/co-owner, Mo
Murkland isnâ??t someone you want to travel with on long distances in a car, so
we were to pick her up in the airport.  I wasnâ??t going to leave Spunky in
the car, so he donned his Therapy Dog coat, and into the waiting area we went,
in spite of all the signs, that said, no dogs.  While we were waiting for her
flight, a lady walked up to us.  She was clearly upset.  She asked if she
could pet Spunky.   Of, course.  Her daughter had just died, she was flying
home to bury her.  She spent several minutes, holding on to Spunky and crying
into his neck.  She finally moved and Spunky gave her a gentle lick.  He knew
his job.
A couple of years ago, Spunky and I walked in the Susan G Komen 3K.  There
were masses of people, and quite a few other dogs walking, too.  I was a
little nervous about how Spunky would react in such a crowd.  There was only
one problem.  When we came across  another German Shepherd, Spunk would stop
dead still, and stack himself.  Then slowly turn his head to the other
GSD-match that, buddy.
Spunkâ??s best buddy is the epi-Lab we have.  Rascal is a typical Lab, but on
major drugs, he is goofy, and a klutz.  When Rascal was at his worst â??and
unable to walk consistently; Spunky and Trouble, our other GSD would flank
Rascal, and help keep him upright.
He was temperament tested a couple of years ago.  I had watched several dogs
go through the process that afternoon.  Troy,  a member of the Houston GSD
Club, was the weird approaching stranger.  Although he was in disguise, he
didnâ??t get much of a reaction to the dogs who had gone through the process.
When Spunkâ??s turn came, as Troy rounded the curve and approached, I let out a
little squeal.  Spunky couldnâ??t get between us fast enough.  It was fun to
watch.
Labor Day, 2008 found us in Monroe, Louisiana for another dog show, just as
Hurricane Gustav was also approaching.  The convention center facility was
also the evacuation center.  As the storm approached, our parking lot filled
up with people getting out of the way of the storm.  It was a perfect
opportunity for Spunky  to do everything he loved to do.  He guarded us, by
taking his sentry position on the dashboard of the RV.  Ashley Miller handled
him in the ring.  It became a fun show.  Either Spunky went BOB or Best
Opposite  or  Less and Cheryl Andersonâ??s beautiful, Ch. Scharo/Ark Long Hot
Summer-won that prize.  But those two butted heads every show, with both sets
of owners, cheering the other dog on.  It was fitting, because their RV was
right by ours in the parking lot!  As the parking lot filled up, with scared
people, with their treasures packed in their cars, Spunky went into action.
He worked the crowd.  Many were scared of
 the German Shepherd breed, and many learned that they can be gentle giants,
too.  He met so many scared children, who had left their pets behind. They got
to pet him.  He made a difference.
Spunky, aka Biss Sel Ex Ch Koniginâ??s Phantom of the Opera, TC HIC TD, only
lived five years.  But he packed so many memories, pleasures and so much
living in those 5 years.  Without him, Iâ??d have never shown dogs, I
wouldnâ??t know we enjoyed traveling with our pack in an RV, I wouldnâ??t have
done therapy work.  I wouldnâ??t have met so many of the special people we
have come into contact with.  I would have never done herding or agility. I
wouldnâ??t be considered the office expert on dogs.   I wouldnâ??t know a
cookie was a code word for a treat.    Mamaâ??s boy is going to be very
missed.
His final contribution to this world-as soon as the Sunshine Committee came up
with a stud auction to generate funds, Mo immediately placed him on the list,
then called me.  No problem!  Letâ??s do it.  He didnâ??t live long enough
to be able to be â??auctionedâ??, but the committee has named it the BISS Sel
Ex. Ch Konigin's Phantom Of The Opera, TC, HIC, ThD MEMORIAL STUD AUCTION.
What an honor!
 Pat Evans