[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: Factual Information from the AKC in regards to ABC's Nightline

  • From: "Bill Burggraaf" <wjbj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gsd list" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:35:32 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Crowley
To: Delegates
Cc: AKC Board
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: Factual Information from the AKC in regards to ABC's Nightline

***Please cross-post to your breed, club and dog show lists***

The American Kennel Club would like to correct some misinformation that is
circulating within the fancy. We would appreciate your assistance in spreading
the word about the facts on this issue.

The AKC is aware that NIGHTLINE, which airs on ABC, is pursuing a story on
canine health, including breeding. The AKC welcomes all constructive dialogue
about the sport and on ways to improve the health of dogs. However, all
indications are that the story will not be a fair and balanced look at the
issues. With the guidance of our advisors, the AKC declined to participate but
instead provided NIGHTLINE with an official statement:

"The American Kennel Club is the nation's leading not-for-profit organization
devoted to canine health, breeding and responsible dog ownership. The AKC's
breeding policies and high ethical standards have made us the most widely
respected registry in the world. Each year, the AKC performs approximately
5,000 kennel and breeder inspections to ensure the proper care and conditions
of dogs and has led the charge in regards to advancing canine health, including
founding the AKC Canine Health Foundation in 1995. Since that time, $22 million
has been given to more than 500 research projects at 74 vet schools and
research institutes worldwide to improve the health of all dogs."

It has also come to our attention that some individual AKC constituents have
been approached for interviews or may be approached at dog shows. In this event
we recommend politely declining the interview and referring their requests to
the AKC's Communications dept at communications@xxxxxxx or 212-696-8343.

You may also direct those interested in this topic to www.akcdoghealth.com for
pertinent information.

American Kennel Club Communications

communications@xxxxxxx

***Permission to cross-post to all breed, club and dog show lists***

Daisy Okas

Assistant V.P. Communications

American Kennel Club

260 Madison Avenue