[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: Crop/dock ban in NY

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:00:21 EDT

That's bunk.  Dobes were originally cropped not because it "looked good",
they were cropped in order to help them perform the function they were bred
for.
Keeping the tax collectors safe.  The ears helped them to look more
intimidating, and the short cropped ears (we have modified today's crop, the
original
crop was much different) were much harder to grab and hold on to than the
floppy hound like ears.
Try grabbing a running Shepherd by the ear, then a floppy eared Labrador or
Rott.  Shepherd ears generally fold back while running, Floppy ears cannot do
that, and thus, they cannot "put the ears away"

Give me my cropped and docked dogs over a Houndy looking Dane or Dobe anyday

I hope they nip this in the bud right quick.

 - Jackie

In a message dated 5/13/2006 2:54:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
ruready8336@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
!!! Humans
decided that a dobe would "look" better with cropped ears, humans decided
that pit bulls would be less prone to ijury in the fighting ring with
tightly cropped ears!!