[ SHOWGSD-L ] Futurity/Maturity?

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:51:43 -0400

I have made it clear, I don't like the amateur futurity idea at all. But,
some people I admire such as Joannie and Carole think it is important so I
seldom post on it.

However, let me express my position.

If you are going to compete, do so with those you need to win over. To
lower the bar, so someone can win, does nothing but give less meaning to the
competition. This was pointed out last week by someone asking to find
someone else to show for her in amateur futurity classes.

I am all for anything that give people a way to enjoy the sport. But, I
didn't like the OFA class at the national. I don't much care for the long
coat classes. And, I see no real purpose of the amateur classes.

When I started to handle, I went against the big handlers, and that is how
I learned, (assuming I learned anything).

It is here, and I support those who enjoy it. But, I don't believe it
serves a valid purpose, other than to just give more ribbons. Maybe that is
enough.

Evan L.Ginsburg
_Click here: 2014 GSDCA NATIONAL - THE UNOFFICAL NATIONAL SITE_
(http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/)
_Click here: GSD Youth Recognition Fund_
(http://www.dogshowjuniors.com/jindex.html)
Click here: Welcome to Asgard's German Shepherds

In a message dated 9/13/2015 5:39:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I plan on entering in the Amateur Futurity when the time comes but I have
two questions?

Does anyone else, besides myself, think that the Amateur classes should be
Amateur Owner classes? I feel like more people might participate if it was
Amateur owner. Or, maybe the culture of showing our breed is too far gone
down the professional handler path and it wouldn't matter....This, I cannot
say.

Also, why are Reserves given out at the "Regular" Futurity but not at the
Amateur one? That doesn't seem fair.

Lastly, I also don't like the use of the word "Regular" as a division as
it makes it seem like the Amateur division is somehow irregular or inferior!
I would make a suggestion to change the name to the Open division.

I know these things probably don't seem like a big deal to most people but
I think it could send a more inclusive m_essage with these
changes....thoughts?

Sarah Minsk-Eduardo

_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/) _Von Whitehall German Shepherds_
(http://www.vonwhitehallgermanshepherds.com/) _
"Preserving the classic
German Shepherd Dog"_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Member of GSDCA and Signer of Breeders Code of Ethics

=