[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurity changes/long

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 21:33:57 -0700

From: "Kim McNamara" <klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx>Subject:  Futurity changes
> My 2 cents - I hate the idea of fewer regions which might make the distances
> longer for a lot of people - BUT - maybe if people want fewer regions, maybe
> it's time to make sure they are centrally located, like the National.  Sorry
> for clubs in places like Florida, but the numbers are always small when the
> SE Futurity is there (sorry Amy!) while Great Lakes is always a big entry,
> because there's a big population area nearby.  Agreed that small numbers do>
 not equate to the quality - the quality can still be great.  But it IS sad >
that
the small entry in Texas this weekend was exacerbated by huge> absentees.  And
yes - the key reason that they are expensive!  Maybe the> parent club can appeal
to the handlers to make their fees less expensive for> Futurities - yeah right.
  :-()> Kim - Kimberlite

I don't know of one single exhibitor that wants fewer Futurity Regions.  I have
spoken to a lot of the breeders and exhibitors out here in the West and that
includes, some from Oregon, Calif, and Nevada and I have yet to find one.
Most have told me that they will be unable to support the Futurities in any way
if the
Regions are less as they are quite a distance away for most of us to begin with.
Futurities aren't like a dog show and we will find another one near by in a
couple of
weeks.    Unlike the National,  they are a breeders showcase and they are for
different
Regions all over the Nation....that is part of the beauty of the Futurities.
If we
can't
get to Florida, maybe we can get to Arizona or Northern California.   With the
National
it's ONE location a year and a huge portion of us HAVE to fly in with dogs.
Futurities are not intended to be set according to population numbers...but
REGIONS!
With the National......ONCE  A YEAR....it should be easy to get to for all.

The Futurities are suffering from the same pains as the shows.  The entries to
the
Futurities are no more expensive than shows, nor is traveling any more expensive
than shows whether it is gas or Motels or food.

The difference with the futurities is a few obvious things .....and that is
where our
attention needs to be focused.  Let's get to basics .....and be realistic in
our
thinking.

a.  The Futurities are during a certain TIME FRAME.
     ( WE have to pick and choose which works for us.   During those time
frames,
      a dog can be limping, shedding, looking bad, won't be ready or maybe we
      just  can't attend one because of the time frame a certain one is in.....
etc.)

b.   EXPENSES:  There is ONLY ONE  higher expense for the Futurities.  The
handlers
     do charge more. Some MUCH more.  The problem is not the Futurities
themselves.
     ( This cannot be changed by the Futurity Committee.   The choice is up to
the
      Exhibitors on this one.   The Parent Club does not set the handler fees,
and
they
      do not Legislate that.   You/ we/us .....as an owner make that choice. )

c.   LOCATION: The Futurities are often far away .....not like a show any other
week.
     ( To Lessen the Regions will make them even MORE distant,  thus more
difficult  )

d.    JUDGES:  They may not be the Judge of our choice....we still can find
another.
      ( Maybe because they have just judged in our area and we KNOW they hate
our
       little FIDO....or they love our little FIDO, and we try to show
accordingly )

e.    CHANGES:  Entries, exhibitors, breeders, and  handlers fees have changed
since
       the onset of the Futurities........ we have lost many we have gained
some.
      ( How can we change with the times?   Entries are down everywhere!!   Do
we
       keep expecting litter nominations and Futurity entries to stay ABOVE
everything
       else?  AND if we do.....how can we encourage breeders to nominate more? )
       No matter what we do.....there are only a certain number of exhibitors
across
       the Country!

d.    FUTURITIES FAILING: WHY?   All of the above?   None of the above?   Just
less
      interest, less breeders, less money, tired bodies, less exhibitors, less
fun?
More
      political??  Have they been wrong all these years, and it's just now
starting to
show
      a problem??   WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE??   Is it really the Futurities or
is it
all
      of us and changes in our lives, less breeding, age, handler prices?  We
need to
really
      know why.... CAN we look at the exact year that handler fees went sky
high and
      see a definite decline?   WHY did the handler fees go so high????
HMMMmmmm

ANSWERS: Sorry.. nothing really definite.   Do we change the time?   CAN we
change
      the handlers fees?   SHOULD we make the Futurities FURTHER away with fewer
      Regions just to force those that do want to exhibit their pups  bloat a
Regional
      Futurity with all their entries so it looks good in the numbers column??

      CAN we change what a Judge is known to like?   Can we, or should we
change who
      Judges them?   Do we go by population just because more breeders are in a
certain
      Region?   Do we insist on a certain number of dogs be entered before we
consider
      a Futurity, or winner "worthy"?   Do we HAVE to have only certain
handlers to
win??
       ( IF that is the case........we sure can't blame the handlers!!!   WHO
is to
blame?? )
       IF a Futurity doesn't receive a certain number of entries do we punish
the Club
by not
       allowing them to host a Futurity again....or punish the breeders for not
building up
       an entry by canceling that Region??   Who failed??   WHO do we really
blame??
       Surely we  can place the blame on someone  somewhere.........<G>
       Can we possibly reward those who enter the most in one litter in a
Futurity....or
       those who win with non professional handlers ....or over the biggest
numbers?
       Do we want the futurities "tweaked".....or completely changed....if
so.....WHERE?

      While we are thinking of changes for them....make sure our motives are
for the
      right reasons for all of us and what really is the best for reviving our
Futurities
      and not a knee jerk reaction  because of numbers on a couple of
Futurities.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com