[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurity Trophies

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Scharo777@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:29:15 EDT

This is a tricky situation.  I was of the understanding that the  Purina
money was to be used for Futurity trophies, and nothing else.  And  thankfully
we (membership) have enjoyed that benefit for a while now.

I am not aware of any developments that may change this understanding,  but
I am concerned that we have become dependent on this donation to support
one  of the Parent Club programs.

What happens when Purina stops or lower  their donations  because they are
not making (as a company) the same money they made last  year?  Do we then
stop offering the Futurities because there is no  money?

Carol deserves an "Oscar" for her work as Futurity Chair (as do all of our
past Futurity Chairs), but I think the Parent Club needs to develop a
budget  that includes the Futurities and their expenses. I don't think the
Futurity  system should be dependent on Purina's or any other donation.  If
that
is the case, that is not a good plan.

JMO

* Ileana  *

In a message dated 8/5/2010 4:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:

Because  I have been directly asked:
(I hesitate tospeak of club business on a  public list - but all of  this
occurred at an open board  meeting)
As National Futurity Chairman  I serve at the pleasure of the  Board, but I
feel I am also responsible to  the regional clubs, as  partners in the
Futurity program.

I will say  that I have in  my possession a copy of the Purina National
Sponsorship  signed in  2006, where the amount of $15,000 was donated to
the
parent club  and  earmarked for regional futurity trophies and the welcome
dinner and   enhanced hospitality at the national. This contract was
renewed
for  2007,  2008, and 2009 with an option for 2010.  I asked permission  to
contact  Purina and it was denied..I was told that budget and  finance did
not know
this contract existed and that a new contract  had already been signed,
leaving the money to be used at the  discretion of the parent club.

It  is my understanding of  accounting that a donation from Purina, no
matter  where it is  applied, will improve the club's bottom line.

However, I know   that the regional clubs cannot stand to loose this
support. They are   struggling at this point just to survive and for many
clubs their  profit  from a futurity allows them to operate for another
year or
two, They do not  have the manpower to solicit trophy donations and  put on
the
show. Denying  these funds to the regional clubs will kill  the Futurity
system. I would  hate to see it die this  way.

This year my futurity committee has reached  out to the  membership for
ideas to re vitalize the Futurity system. We will  be  meeting to take
these
ideas and try to make improvements. I urge all   regional clubs and all
parent club members to contact individual  board  members and express their
wishes
about the Purina funds. I do  not think  that all the board members wish to
see the Purina Funds
taken from regional  futurity trophies and diverted to other  uses.

Hopefully still your  futurity chairman
Carol  Moore