[ SHOWGSD-L ] Futurity Requirements

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:06:13 -0800

Okay, I really have been doing a lot of deletions on all the lists lately,
so may have missed this discussion.

It has come to my attention via a judge who was also previously qualified
but is no longer because of some changes, that the recently changed
requirements to the futurity judges requirements means that previously
qualified judges of the futurity, (like myself who has previously judged
futurities where my chosen winners have gone on to very successful careers
including 2 GV's, MV, FV, many selects and champions), would no longer be
eligible because we haven't attended the GSDCA Judging Seminar?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  Who proposed this change and WHO APPROVED
IT???????????  Even the AKC grandfathers people in when they change their
requirements.

Furthermore, requirements for the futurity should be in place ONLY to be
sure someone has good ring procedure ---- watching the GSDCA National during
the Judging Seminar, IMO will not do that --- Especially when we've had
judges who do not do the temperament test as prescribed, and judges who feel
the need to make their choices with the standard in some kind of oblivion. I
don't think people can learn anything from watching judges who do this. and
I heard some of the comments from the AKC licensed judges attending this
years seminar --- I was sitting right behind them during most of it.

The Futurity/Maturity Sweepstakes System needs to be put BACK INTO
PERSPECTIVE. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.  This is a puppy match ---
handlers fees should not be more than a regular show, and judges who judge
it should be breeders of note and not necessarily already licensed judges.
Maybe it's time we make it all amateur --- so that owner handlers, and
juniors are the primary handlers and some of that money that Purina gives
the club is put back into making the Futurity/Maturity SWEEPSTAKES is put
into cash prizes like we used to have --- you know --- when a small futurity
was around 200 entries.

So. I do hope the Board of Directors, IMMEDIATELY by electronic means, PRIOR
TO THE UPCOMING BOARD MEETING. get this "change" reversed, so that clubs who
are trying to pick their futurity judges can have a large pool of very
qualified breeders to judge this important BREEDERS puppy match, instead of
"judges" who may or may not be better qualified.

Kathaleen

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:

1995 US GV, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM

http://inflight.cnc.net  http://www.inflightcoatformula.com

Website creations available - Email me directly