[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities-Love Em or Leave Em

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:12:40 EDT

Terra brings up many good points.

Coordinating a specialty show can be challenging enough, then add to that a
 Futurity, AKC and dates reservation with other clubs in the region and it
becomes a little more work than many realize.

We are starting to see more Junior handlers, lets put more puppies in the
ring. Its a win win situation. The Juniors get the practice they need to
improve their skills and the puppy makes it in the ring. This approach will
afford the breeders to really showcase their breedings, which is supposed to
be  the purpose. Or is it the Wood with Stars and the Big Ribbons?  You will
 get those with the more competitive dogs, but you can still showcase the
younger  ones, and support the Futurity, or specialties.  Then again, for
those  breeders that only breed one or two litters a year, this may be a moot
point.

Handlers....that's a whole other story, but not necessarily a bad  story.
We all know that many shows become shows with major points because  the
handlers bring the dogs.  Not all handlers are exorbitantly  expensive.  Like
anything, shop around.  And get one that will show up  when he/she say it
will.  Which is why we need to start training those  Juniors....<G>

Having attended a few all breeds lately, I have witnessed the camaraderie
and relaxation are far more noticeable than at some specialties.   And
there is always the shopping <G>.

My suggestion?  Let the judge worry about the inside of the ring, and  make
it fun outside of the ring. Have food, have a bake sale to benefit rescue
(saw this at a sharpei fun match), have raffles, do what you can to make
everyone attending feel welcomed and relaxed.  Who wants to go to a show to
be miserable?  You can do that at work and get paid for it <g>.

Just my two cents.

Ileana