[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities/ long

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bnbgsds2000@xxxxxxxxx>, <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>, "List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ANN SCHULTZ" <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:52:20 -0700

I've been off the List for over two months.......so I know I'm coming into this
late......but hopefully I'm not
stepping out of line to give some input in response to some of the posts below.
The idea of being able to enter TWO Futurities was my idea 4 years ago when I
was still on the Futurity Committee.
No one was really open to the idea at that time..........and the main concern
was how to "police"  it to prevent exhibitors
from cheating and actually exhibiting in more than one. <G>    The subject of
entering TWO Futurities has been brought
up a few times in the interim........but at those time the 'Amatuer Futurities'
 were still being worked on and tweaked.
This time when Amy brought the subject up again...........and the discussion
began.....I stated that the Weimaraner
Club allows an Exhibitor to enter every dog in ALL their Futurity Regions with
no problems......that SURELY we
could allow exhibitors to enter just TWO easily enough.
From there a motion was made that the Exhibitors be allowed to enter all NINE
Regions and the Committee work
out which they want done and how........it is that simple.  The Committee Chair
did not ask that we enter 9 Regions.

I'm sure the Futurities are no longer what Connie Bechardt envisioned or anyone
else....but times are changing
and everything can fail.........or improve.    We need to decide which we want
to go with.   Everything should be
open to change and improvement......our Show World is changing.   Almost
everything changes over time.
In the beginning we never entered a litter before it was even whelped......now
we can ....and some do to help
with Purina funding.    I'm sure since it's inception there have been several
changes that we don't even remember.

My reasons for suggesting that an Exhibitor be allowed to enter their dogs in
TWO Futurities is very simple.
Surely any of you that DO support the Futurities have agonized over which one
to enter??    It's not like a dog
show and there is always another one in two weeks if you miss one.........<G>
You have to enter the Futurities early.....and all I would like is the "wiggle
room"   to know that I can even ATTEND
the Futurity I enter.    I have a big family.....with it comes illnesses,
Grand Kids Graduations,  weddings, events
and surgeries, even handler injuries or emergencies.....friends
weddings....things going on besides dog shows
that affect all of our lives.......and yes, the dogs often do blow coat.....get
injured or lame.......and always the potential
for Judge changes....    All this can really affect all your months of planning
for only ONE shot at a Futurity or Maturity
win.   As it is........there are  NO second chances!!
How the handlers work it out.......or if some even go along with it is up to
each individual handler and owner.   It is
just kind of a "back up"  plan if something goes wrong for the one Futurity you
DO plan on.   It can be done......and
I hope it does go through.    Many will not do that.......but at least we have
an option if we want.
It seems reasonable and sensible to me.............but ..........that is just
me.   <G>

On that note......I also would like to say that I have even suggested that
Exhibitors even be allowed to just enter a
Maturity....ONLY.     ALL the same reasons as mentioned above.    I'm sure
every single one of us for one reason
or another has neglected to or forgotten to enter a litter in the Futurity.
Co Owners do....we do.....none of us are
perfect.   But just like all of the above.........it would give us an "option"
or "back up" plan if that DOES happen.
It would come at great expense I'm sure .......but some are occasionally more
than willing to pay the price for their
own mistakes.    Again......just another possibility for change to think about.
   Change is not always 'bad'.   <G>
I know right now one of our studs has a litter that the owner forgot to
nominate....I'm sure we all do.....and wouldn't
it be great to have a second shot at at least their Maturity ......provided
someone wanted to pay the extra expense
of course.    <G>

Just my thinking  from an exhibitor / breeder  point of view and what we've
dealt with over the years.   NONE of
 it means you HAVE to enter NINE or even TWO Futurities......nor that handlers
will all be booked solid with
ONE dog.
I cannot perceive of any good handler having just one good dog that they want
to commit to for every single
Futurity!!!?   If they do....they still can only show in one!    Some will give
pause to even two........that is between
handlers and owners.....as it should be.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: myjoygs@xxxxxxx <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 8:17 AM
  <<The handlers win, the breeders lose on this one and I was under the
impression that futirities
  are a breeder shpwcase.

  My mistake!">>

  Every good idea has both pros and cons if implemented.?    I know many times
a dog especially a bitch will
  not be in coat or up to its potential when the futurity they are entered in
rolls around, by being able to enter
  more then one this would give that particular dog a chance to be seen?   when
it is hopefully in?  better condition.?
   It would also potentially be a money maker for the clubs which some are in
dire need.? Yes there are cons
  but what better way for a breeder to be able to show the progeny of?sires and
dams in the best condition
  they can.?
   I think it is worth looking into and weigh the pros and cons instead of just
focusing on the cons.
  Joyce

  From: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: holly@xxxxxxxxxxx:
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:58 pm
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities
  I agree with you. The people that can afford to will book handlers for
multiple futurities, leaving others
  without a handler or not knowing until the last minute. People can come in
and if the competition looks
  tough, pull out and go to another futurity with lesser quality. The handlers
  Ann    www.edangsd.com

  From: "Holly Whitney" <holly@xxxxxxxxx>To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent:
Wednesday,  05:00 US/Canada Eastern

  I sent my concerns on to the board.  Please, please, when talking  about this
try to remember what it was like when you first started  out.  I personally
believe very much in the futurity system and I'm  not  even a breeder.  I enjoy
showing at
  them and I get NO personal  gain.  I do it for the love of the show and
watching the young dogs.   I love watching a class where litter mates are
entered.    I love  being part of it.
  My concern is exactly that, what you are suggesting will limit my  choice of
handlers.  I can't even guess how handlers
  will work this  out.  What I'd like to avoid is the stress of ringside
handler  shuffling.

  Perhaps, the upside is that you will get more participation but the  downside
might be that it will drive
  out us, the newbies, the little  guys and I believe you are trying to
encourage us. Holly

  On May 6, 2009, at 9:35 PM, Amy Safdir wrote:

  > Yes please share all your thoughts with me and the Board it will all  > be
taken into consideration when
  planning this.>
  > Our original thoughts on this is first and foremost to bring about  > more
participation since in the past a puppy with panno or stagey  > has missed a
futurity and also in recent years we have had many last  > minute judge changes
  and this would allow the exhibitors/breeders  > the opportunity to have a
backup plan.
  Yes this would bring in  > increased revenue, but I must be honest our
thoughts are with what  > will bring in more participation and allow the
decreased numbers to  > have a little more liberties at actually being able to
actually
   make  > a futurity without having to be absent completely.
  > It will be a choice though..............if folks don't like the idea  >
they will still have the choice to enter only one.

  > As with any changes I am sure there will be a down side, but  > hopefully
it won't be a signifcant down side.>
  > On handlers.............I am not sure they will really want to tie  >
themselves up for many regions on one dog
  anyways. I am sure that  > would hurt their income and ability to schedule
all their dogs. They  > will definitely
   have to work that out.>> Thank you all for caring and sharing your thoughts.
  > Amy Safdir   > GSDCA National Futurity Chair

  : <TISHW@xxxxxxx>> To: <holly@xxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent:
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:19 PM

***********************************************************************************>
  >> Hi Holly,>>
  >> Please send your concerns to all Board members and to Amy Safdir, the>>
Futurity Chair.  Amy had suggested
   the Board allow persons to enter  two futurities and show in only one.  The
Board decided to allow  persons to
  enter all>> futurities and show in only one.
  However, Amy is to work out a  >> plan on how>> this should be implemented.
Your points are well-taken and
  Amy   >> may want>> to bring that up to the Board for discussion at the next
meeting.