[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and other breeds

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:39:00 -0800 (PST)

Carolyn and Mr. Fred,

  You do have a point here. No, its not a "major" win, but a showcase for
breeding programs. Starting out in German Shepherds, I recall those days that
the Southeastern Futurity was HUGE. It was a case to see almost entire litters
of dogs and evaluate them for type.

  I understood the importance all to well this year at the United States Kerry
Blue Terrier Club when they had their national futurity in conjunction with the
National Specialty at Montgomery County Kennel Club in October.  The entries
were pretty good and it was a well known breeder who adjudicated.  It was extra
special for me because the entire litter of pups sired by the kerry blue I have
from Asia was there. In fact, the dog that was BEST IN FUTURITY (like the
equivilant of a FV) was his son--Wildside Lost in the Fog owned by Bille Kneale
and Scott Kellogg. His brother was 2nd Right along side him.

  For me as a breeder first and breeder last, its important to me to see what
dogs I feel are producing the type I like and see very promising puppies. True,
i didnt get a fancy 5 point major, but I did get a nice ego massage and was
bustin' with pride when someone pointed out.. "Hey the top 3 winners in this
Futurity are sired by your dog and they all have Major wins as puppies... "
(and the dog hasnt even finished his title in America yet!!!!). And to me,
thats what its all about.

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)