[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

  • From: "Cyndi Flautt" <caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Scharo777@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:46:07 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scharo777@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:38 AM
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

I get it.

The Old guard does not like the Amateur.

I think I get it too....and I'm not part the old guard you speak of.  We
want to encourage newcomers, most people would agree on this.  How to go
about doing it is the rub......I was OK with amateur futurities when they
were optional, but I DO NOT agree that they should be mandatory.  Despite
the fact that the board has already voted it down, I still believe that the
same thing could be accomplished with an AMATEUR CLASS.  Look at these
numbers from the dogs shown last year:

                     AMATEUR FUTURITY           AMATEUR MATURITY
                     DOGS     BITCHES           DOGS    BITCHES

Mid Pacific           4          2                0        1

Mid West              1          1                4        2

North West            3          4                2        0

Now, be honest, do those numbers indicate that we need to have a completely
separate event?  They do not.  An amateur class in the regular futurity
would give newcomers the opportunity to show, win, and go to the National.
We could make just as much of a big deal for the winner of the classes, then
Best in Futurity/Maturity as we do for the separate event.....IMO, with the
difficulties clubs are having, (manpower and money)  it would have been
prudent to have started with the Amateur class, then if it proved to be a
huge success and the classes were too large....THEN move to a separate
event.

From what I am hearing, there aren't a boatload of clubs competing for the
opportunity to hold a futurity NOW....Will be interesting to see if this new
requirement ends up helping or hurting the system.

JMO,
Cyndi Flautt
www.carettigsd.com