[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

  • From: foxhavengs@xxxxxxx
  • To: Scharo777@xxxxxxx, hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:58:26 +0000

I would say we lost. Dogs that live with new comers but might be co-owned by a
big name should not be an issue. Besides that I agree with Christine e-mail. I
think some (not all) Big time breeders abuse the Amateur Fur/Mat. By entering
their dogs and using unpaid handlers and then enter the same dog in a regular
Fur/Mat and pay a big handler.  What is the reason for this? I know a breeder
that does this all the time, I mean how greedy can you get. I think the rules
should change that you can not enter both. That way it really levels the
playing field. Let's face it big time breeders won't enter the Amateur they
will want to enter the regular fur.
JMO
Denise Fox
Foxhavengs

From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
Sender: showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:09:34
To: <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

Yes
A Scharo dog won.  But I had Given that dog to a friend who was at  loss
for a hobby. She use to show dogs.  She took her and got involved  in showing.
 She went on to finish a dog for Mary Tripp.

She got totally turned off by the attitudes the Old Guard had about her
win.  She does not show anymore.

Who lost???  Her or us?

In a message dated 3/6/2011 12:58:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Yes,  the old guard gets it just fine, Carol. Read the results on the PC
site. since  2008, of the 12 possible National winners of the amateur
fut/mat. event, EIGHT  of the TWELVE winners have been from well know
established
breeders, including  THREE that have bred a GV or GVX, and the rest having
bred selects.In 2008, I  believe a Sharo bitch won Amateur FVX. In 2009, for
whatever reason BOAF was  not awarded but TWO of the THREE in contention were
from WELL KNOWN  ESTABLISHED KENNELS!!!! So it would seem the "old guard"
are getting unpaid  unknown handlers for their dogs. The proof is in the
results.So lets just call  a spade a spade,  the OLD GUARD wants to win
everything, even amateur  events!! If you want to REALLY make it for amateurs,
then
do not allow anyone  who has bred a national winning dog to enter, then we
can really see how many  new people are really participating!!!! C
PS, For what it is worth,  we have not participated in the Amateur event,
as we do not consider ourselves  amateurs. A Couple of years back, I entered
a young dog, but didn't show him.  what turned me off to the event was that
a well know breeder and former board  member was literally hanging over the
ring, doubling his dog, in hopes that  the judge would find it. I just
didn't think that was what the intent of the  event was to be. That's just my
opinion, obviously others feel differently and  want to win everything. In my
opinion, for us and other established successful  breeders to enter and
participate would takes away from the true spirit of the  event, a further
drives
a wedge between the "old guard" and  newbies.

I get it.

The Old guard does not like the  Amateur.

> You don't hear much from newcomers, so  you.?
>
> But since everyone is entitled to an opinion, at the  urging of those
> who
> have entered the amateur, I will  state my opinion and then go back
> to  work.
> I have  about 12 hours of "stuff" to do today for the Futurity   System.
>

> Actually to me, the Amateur is a vehicle to  try to attract newcomers
> into
> competition.  They  may have a good dog, but Want to show it
>  themselves.
> Maybe they have heard all the talk about politics  (God  Forbid)and
> don't want
> to get  involved.
> When we started showing dogs back in the 70's, my husband  wanted to
> show
> our own dogs.  It took a long while  to get good enough, maybe 5
> years.  I
> just  wanted to hire a handler and win.  Loosing sucks with a  good
> dog.  But
> he persevered.  HE personally finished  our first  champion and went
> on to
> finish about 6  more.  But...he learned he himself  was not
>  competitive in the
> specialty ring.  So there we had to hire   handlers.  Bob would LOVE
> to show
> in the Amateur  today - but as a judge he  cannot.
> My point being....our sport is  dying.  People today want to do
> activities
>  themselves.  See the surge in performance events.  The  amateur  is an
> attempt to provide a venue for newcomers to participate  and  god
> forbid win.  But
> with all the bad  mouthing of it..all the complaints of  it being a
> waste  of
> time...Why would they want to enter???  IF they  win they  are looked
> down on.
> What ever happened to "Encourage,  don't Discourage"
> Carol  Moore

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.