[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jim barnhart <jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 18:58:14 +0000 (UTC)

all of this could be accomplished with an amateur  class, but that has been
voted down. Not sure why, as most the amateur futurities have an entry size
that would be about the size of a class at a regular show. typically most dogs
that are entered in futurities are "amateurs" that is, most are young dogs and
inexperienced. Occasionally you may have a couple that finished fast, but this
is the exception and not the rule. The amateur futurity is about handling, not
dogs. It should be called the" Amateur Handling Futurity," and should be
defined as an event that showcases novice handlers and the evalutation of the
handling skills of the novice handler. In other words, it is like an adult
junior handling event.