[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities and Amateurs

  • From: Sbarrbellisle@xxxxxxx
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:13:11 EST

I did not compete last year in an Amateur Fut/Mat, but I did the year
before.   While entries may have been few, it was nice to see owners  and new
people, myself included, showing dogs.   I sometimes feel  intimidated in the
ring next to professionals, because that's what they are,  professionals.
I love to show dogs and always handled my other breed  for many years,   I
had to learn a new way to stack, move, groom among  a few things.   It was
nice to be able to present that, with grooming  assistance from the owner,
after all, I am still new.   It really did  help me to learn a little more and
understand a little more of what the  professionals have to do in the ring.
 It also help me to understand  where improvements in my own handling are
needed.   I found it a great  experience for me.   Everyone may not feel the
same way.   I  showed horses most of my life in the Amateur/owner classes
where we were kind of  all equal in our abilities.   Like when the
professional handlers  handle dogs, they have been doing it for many years.
While
some of us are just getting our feet wet.   My only regret were the  size of
the classes, small.

Sue Barr
Syracuse,NY
Member of The Iroquois German Shepherd Dog  Club

In a message dated 3/4/2011 10:59:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx writes:
First of  all, I would like to commend the PC for listening to the members
who
felt disenfranchised by the professional handlers at the  Futurities.  Then
want to commend them for thinking creatively and  coming up with something
new--the Amateur Futurity.  If it isn't  going to be mandatory, then it
doesn't
help everyone equally.  This  is a relatively new construct.  It takes time
for a
new idea to get  going.  Perhaps we need to give this a few more years.
Okay.
That being said, I just hated waiting and waiting and waiting for the
Amateur
Futurity to be over at the Midwest Futurity last year.  It  took forever
for the
very few entrants to even get to the ring.  I  thought it was a complete
waste of
time for 99% of the people there.   Since I had a 15 hour drive home, I
would
have appreciated an earlier  start.  I would like to read some posts from
people
who actually  participated in the Amateur Futurities last year and thought
they
were the  best thing since sliced bread.  That might adjust my impatience
toward
the whole thing.  If entries do not increase this year, I really  think we
ought
to take another look at it. The innovation needs to  work well enough to
jusiify
the extra time, cost, and aggravation to the  clubs and participants.

Zoa
Dr. Zoa  Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com

Home of Working  Champions