[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities a Few Ideas

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:31:11 +0000 (UTC)

Okay, so we can throw out option C. I understand Evan's point and upon
reflection I think it's a good one, and it doesn't discourage participation
which is what we want anyway. So can we have consensus on points A and B?
Bill

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:01 AM, Evan Ginsburg
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are back to the way it worked when I was in high school. Today, all the
graduates going to college are A students. If you are not a 4.0 student, you
are going to have a hard time getting into college.  In my day, they marked on
a curve. Only a small number of students could get an A, and even if they,
(notice I don't say we), were doing A work, only 10% would get that grade. If
at a Futurity there are four dogs, and two are top quality, what difference
does it make if there are twenty?  It is up to the judge to award what he/she
thinks is an animal to send to the National, not the number that is shown. A
few years back they tried to limit the number of Selects.  If the judge saw 20
Select animals, he was to limit it to only (pick a number).  I always felt that
was like judging on a curve. Let the judge decide, not the numbers. And, no, I
was not a 4.0 student.
Have Reserve Futurity/Reserve Maturity if a certain minimum number of dogs
"show up" at the show.
 Evan