[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities a Few Ideas

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:47:30 -0700

Great Ideas, Bill. Question, though. Futurity dogs are taken from litters the
previous year. It wouldn’t be a “Futurity,” per se, if the dogs were born in
the same year they were shown. I guess it could be called a Future Futurity :-)

Storm

On Apr 28, 2015, at 8:13 AM, Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, so we all agree that Futurities were meant to originally by a breeder's
showcase, however given the realities of today where dogs have been shipped
to different owners in other parts of the country, the prohibitive cost of
shipping dogs etc etc it is not realistic to limit dogs to be shown in the
region they are bred. So with the premise that we have to accept those
realities, here are a couple of ideas:

a. Eliminate the Amateur Futurity/Maturity Classes. It had a good intent ,
but it hasn't worked. In it's place offer the following.

b. Institute a 2-4 and 4-6 month class at Futurities with the following
caveats(these will be classified as " Youth Class":
- these classes have a reduced rate of entry
- multiple entries from the same litter will have further reduced rate of
entry
- Only Non-Professional Handlers can handle in these classes
- There will be a "Youth Class" winner and "Reserve Youth Class" winner
in each sex that will go to the National and they can only be shown by
Non-Professional Handlers.

c. Have Reserve Futurity/Reserve Maturity if a certain minimum number of dogs
"show up" at the show.

Ok have at it.

Best, Bill

Stormy V. Hope