[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities - Regional Showcases?

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, TISHW@xxxxxxx, Gatlinp@xxxxxxx, campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, CagGra@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

I like futurities just the way they are. I like the amateur futurity and feel
this is a way to bring newbies in, if they choose to participate. I like the
Reserve system as the two best dogs may show up at the same futurity.  Entries
are dropping in this breed and at dog shows as a whole. The futurity system
isn't broken, the whole dog show game is. I don't think reducing regions will
increase entries. I know people that enter close by futurities, but wouldn't be
there if it were a long drive. Ann
                               Nancy Harper <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:  Consider if you will.
1) The top 10 producing Futurity dogs and Bitches are listed in the Red Book.
(calculated from
the placing and wins of their progeny).
2) The top 10 producing sire and dams from Futurities are listed in the
Brochure for the
National.
3) The Maturity Victor/Victrix give ROM points to their sire and dams.
4) The "breeder of the year" is selected and given a beautiful trophy - at the
National for wins
connected with the Futurity/Maturity System.
5) Futurity/Maturity wins can be used as part of the criteria for the
prestigious Lloyd Brackett
award.
6) Ads in the Review emphasize wins at Futurities
7) Many of our most illustrations sire and dams come from the ranks of
Futurity/Maturity wins.
8) A Futurity/Maturity winner is a qualifier for the Stud Dog/Brood Bitch
presentation at the
National - I think, correct me if I am mistaken on this one.
So, these Futurities may only be "matches" in that they do not award AKC
Championship points
however, I would venture to say that most breeders/exhibitors place a lot of
emphasis on these "wins" & certainly the owners & breeders of the top 10
producers are very eager to "brag" on these wins and rightfully so. I am not
aware of any "matches" that have as much influence as our Futurities. What
other "matches" garner the same glory?
So, members, what do we want here? Do we want the Futurity/Maturity System to
offer the same jewels in the crown - do we want to omit all the frills
associated with these wins?
There are almost as many opinions are there are breeders/exhibitors. Will the
Amateur Event allow the option of showing without as much intense competition
in the future? Do we want to eliminate handlers in the regular Futurity as some
have suggested?
Nancy Harper