[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Futurities - Regional Showcases?

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:08:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2007 12:03:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Probably  if you took
away the FV and MV title, just exhibited the winners of the  regional
futurities as a "show case" event" then more would participate,  maybe.
Christine

Hi Christine,

That brings back memories of when I first became the National Futurity
Chairman and the FREE committee was in existence.  I really was "new" and
didn't
know the Board members very well - except Helen Gleason who had  recommended me
for the job.  It was either the 2nd or 3rd meeting I  attended and Gail
Sprock nicely gave me the FREE Committee report to review  ahead of time.  Then
at
the meeting when they started discussing all this  futurity stuff, Dave Rinke
decided that the way to make the futurities less  important was to take away
the BIF at the National, etc.  Believe it or  not, it passed.  You should have
heard the outcry from the  membership.  Next meeting it was reinstated.  And
the 2 year rule was  put into effect for changes affecting the futurities.

So here we are with the suggestion again.  It has also been suggested  in the
past that we do away with the ratings in the Redbook.  And while  these ideas
may sound good, the truth is that members like the BIF awards and  the
rankings in the Redbook even if it does give the Futurity wins more  importance
than
they might deserve.

Tish