[ SHOWGSD-L ] Futurities

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:38:13 -0800 (PST)

I have a basic problem with the futurity system - I loved the original
futurities where you would have entire litters shown within the region they
were
born in. You could see what the different local breeders were producing with
the
various dogs available loclly and an occasional litter produced by flying a
bitch to some big name dog elsewhere. You got to compare regions. There were
large classes, novice handlers (heck, anyone at ringside could be handed a lead
and went in) and it could help a breeder. Now it is a very few participants,
dogs fly to wherever they have the best chance of winning, and generally there
is no longer a way to see what is actually being produced other than maybe the
one or two best of a few litters nationwide.
I wish someone would explain to me what the current purpose is. Why is it so
important to spend a fortune to show a few dogs in a match?
There are a few classes with competition. Often there are single dog classes
and
people crow about "getting wood" when all they actually did was walk into the
ring, or more truthfully, pay someone to walk into the ring.

I believe if this is a valuable program then someone should be able to explain
it in nice simple that tell me why this is a better indicator of anything than
the regular shows are. I get that it increases entries at the accompanying
shows. But is that the reason for all this?

Ruth