[ SHOWGSD-L ] Futurities

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:09:36 -0400

As an exibitor and on a fixed income, futurities are a luxury for me.? While I
would prefer to show under judges who I think would like my dogs, I am limited
by various issues.? The West Coast is a huge geographical area.? I must decide
where I can show, based on cost.? This year, the closest futurity is 9 hours
away.? I have to consider gas, hotel, handling fees and expenses, a pet
sitter?and days involved.? The next closest is 14 hours away.? This is all for
no points and just to showcase a potential?puppy.??Ok, I am willing to do that,
within reason.? My pups are entered at he SP futurity.? While I am dissapointed
that Bart cannot judge, I also know the other futurity options aren't
feasable.??I realize that arrangements are made very far in advance and
situations can change.? I know that when I nominate that litter and enter them
in the futurity.? It then is my choice to show or not to show.? If I am
committed and have budgeted for a specific futurity then that is what it
  will be, regardless of changes.? Unless there is a conflict with a judge or a
judge I already know I will not show under.? With this?region, entering 2
futurities is ok but?not realistic.? ??

Yes, some changes need to be made in the futurity system as I believe we put
way too much importance on it.? With the current economy, it really needs to be
seen as a specialty puppy match or a puppy sweepstakes.? The pups that do well
will?still go on to do well and provide points for the sire and dam.??More
locations should be considered, especially for huge geographic areas.? For
example, a futurity or sweepstakes?available in each large geographic State.?
One each in CA, AZ, WA, OR, NV UT and CO.? The smaller East Coast?States could
combine States.??

This is thinking outside the box?and probably unrealistic.??And, I know there
are many holes in my idea.? But, I do know that entries will continue to
dwindle and people will stop?showing except for critical shows.??

Just some thoughts.

Laura Thomas??????????????