[ SHOWGSD-L ] Further to the popular topic of the week.....

  • From: "Jack Kilgour" <jackkilgour@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Janandmort" <janandmort@xxxxxxx>, "Joan Fox" <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:35:24 -0700

Hi Joan,

My "role of the judge" email earlier this week was both a practical and
factual add on to the email string originated by you on the evening of
Saturday, September 15th.  Earlier that same day, a dog now "rumored" to
have issues with a low sperm count was awarded the Grand Victor title in
Canada.  Additionally, on the 15th, one of this dog's co-owners was given
the ultimate honor of being selected by his fellow G.S.D.C. of Canada
members to judge Best of Breed (Intersex) at the 2013 Canadian Nationals.

Should we simply consider your September 15th message  as a coincidental,
educational offering on the purpose of our dog shows being to evaluate
breeding stock?  You started that email by writing "I'm reminded today that
the purpose of dog shows..."   You went on to write: ....it behooves all
involved to keep that in mind in whatever aspect you participate."

Your email prompted me to think "what's up, Joan?"  "You are appealing to
the us listers  of the necessity to remember the purpose of evaluating
breeding stock  at a dog show".  I went on to ponder "what it was about
Saturday, September 15th that 'reminded' you of this purpose."

I've come to learn where there's smoke, there's fire.  Emails from Ileana
and others asking about showing sterile dogs followed, and lots of gossip,
speculation and public and private emails were flying around.  I hadn't
heard the G.V. rumor and so I didn't immediately pick up on who the targets
of this email string were.

Three (3) days later you communicated a more overt message regarding the
purpose of dog shows.  You went on to condemned "Breeders, Judges and
Handlers" as having no regard for our breed.  In addition, you wrote:
"I guess it does not matter about dogs not being able to reproduce then as
it's all about the winning."

Joan, my email to the list two days ago (the role of the judge in dog shows)
and this one today, are, in part, to take a stand against posts that
ultimately  lead to "out", "hurt" and "confuse."

There was a judge on September 15th and she "judged dogs."  She should feel
great about doing her job.  The dog has a breeder who undoubtedly is full of
happiness and pride at his dog's great accomplishment.  There are several
owners of this dog, and I witnessed first-hand their joy and humble
sportsmanship at the show.

I believe our Club and our sport are still losing people in part because of
divisive energy that crops up all too often.  Who on here can say they've
never engaged in gossip or discussions around unsubstantiated "facts."
There is no way we can unify, heal and ultimately grow our membership if we
are doing things like making public "judgements" condemning others'
decisions to show a dog in this our breed ring.

I had never seen Capi before the 15th, and I don't have a strong, personal
connection to the dog's "team."  I believe that dog won his title fair and
square.  No CKC rules were broken or bent, and the dog, his team, and
ESPECIALLY his breeder, owners, and handler deserved their time of
celebration.  As a matter of interest, another benefit was to evaluate his
sire and dam's producing abilities.  I'm quite certain we all were pretty
sure his Sire produces well, but the dog has a dam too and I'm now better
informed on her abilities.

Our Canadian National was such a great memory and experience for me.  I was
so impressed with Capi that day, for what I observed as an incorruptible
character!!  He didn't have to win the show for me to be impressed.  The
finger-pointing has affected me.  As a Canadian, as a fancier, and as
someone who tries hard to see all sides - I felt hurt, sad and discouraged
when this targeted campaign started to rollout.

For the most part your email started some excellent, constructive dialogue
on a topic which is quite obviously prompting people to speak out.  I trust
matters will wind down in time and we'll all be more aware of our truths and
our roles.

Regards,
jack