[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Further "official" OFA words on DM

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds" for DMARC)
  • To: klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:35:08 -0500

Rather than deal in hearsay and 2nd hand stories, ambiguity etc. I prefer
to deal with facts, research and peer reviewed publications.

Here is the latest documented, published, peer reviewed research:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jvim.12317/pdf

Please note that the majority of false test results occurred w/ BMDs and
they have located an additional gene. That said, across all breeds the
current test is accurate 94-96% of the time. (Last paragraph, last table,
summary).

I have to tell you, that's enough for me to test and to make breeding
decisions based on test results. One of every breeding pair here will be a
clear. Period.

I have probably done as much testing as anyone because I test possible
keeper puppies. I have NEVER, repeat NEVER received an unexpected test
result. For example a clear bred to an at risk produced all carriers. A clear
a clear, only clears. A clear to a carrier, only clears and carriers.

Why some false results or unexpected results? Who knows? Improper testing
technique??? I have read on other sites where people w/ a variety of
breeds test puppies using cheek swabs. Wow, a lot of room for error there,
puppies nursing, mouthing each other. I only use blood when testing puppies.
(Maybe that's why my test results have been consistent????)

I would suggest actually that moving forward we have vets draw blood and
scan the dog's chip info. Test results reported as PI or no-PI.

What I really don't have time for are people who just "know" w/o testing
that a dog had DM. Sorry, there are just too many things that can mimic the
symptoms of DM.

It's important to note too that age of onset varies from breed to breed.
(GSDs young , 6+ compared to Corgis for instance). And yes, not all "at risk"
dogs develop DM early and some die from other causes before developing.
Speaking of other breeds, we are really doing one lousy job compared to
others. Maybe we backed the wrong horse initially and that's why folks are
reluctant.....

In closing the only way to diagnose DM is through necropsy. Again, the
ONLY way to diagnose is trough necropsy. That isn't as awful as it sounds,
Dr. Coates will send instructions on what she needs for the tissue sample
and will examine FOR FREE. It's not the whole dog it's a small tissue sample,
something your vet can handle before the dog is cremated. All of the info
is on her site. AGAIN, FREE. So for goodness sakes if you have a dog that
tested clear or carrier and show signs, send in a tissue sample at the
appropriate time. Why on earth wouldn't you????

I'm noticing that companion puppy people are the ones dragging breeders
(kicking and screaming, sadly, in many cases), to test. Not a week goes by
where I don't listen to a sobbing owner relaying what they have experienced
w/ a dog w/ DM. And the excuses they routinely hear on why NOT to
test....pathetic IMO.

Kathy Salvucci, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 11/10/2015 9:29:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
klite3gsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

A co-owner recently did the OFA DM test and this additional information
was included with his results. Two dogs testing normal have been later
confirmed to have DM, and DM has been confirmed in "a few" carrier dogs.

Kim - Kimberlite

Explanation of results:

NORMAL (N/N): This dog is homozygous N/N for the mutation that is the most
common cause of DM, with two normal copies of the gene. Among the hundreds
of dogs studied so far at the University of Missouri, only two dogs with
test results of N/N (Normal) have been confirmed to have DM. This dog can
only transmit the normal gene to its offspring, and it is unlikely that this
dog or its offspring will ever develop DM.

CARRIER (A/N): This dog is heterozygous A/N, with one mutated copy of the
gene and one normal copy of the gene, and is classified as a carrier.
Carriers are far less likely to develop DM, but we have confirmed DM in a few
carrier dogs. They may be used carefully in breeding programs to keep their
good qualities while reducing risk of DM in future generations.

AT-RISK (A/A): This dog is homozygous A/A, with two mutated copies of the
gene, and is at risk for developing Degenerative Myelopathy (DM). Although
almost all dogs in the research study with confirmed DM have had A/A DNA
test results, recent evidence suggest that there are other causes of DM in
some breeds. In addition, not all dogs testing as A/A have shown clinical
signs of DM. DM is typically a late onset disease, and dogs testing as A/A
that
are clinically normal may still begin to show signs of the disease as they
age. Some dogs testing A/A did not begin to show clinical signs of DM
until they were 15 years of age. Research is ongoing to estimate what
percentage of dogs testing as A/A will develop DM within their lifespan. At
this
point, the mutation can only be interpreted as being at risk of developing DM
_within the animal’s life. For dogs showing clinical signs with a
presumptive diagnosis of DM, affected (A/A) test results can be used as an
additional tool to aid in the diagnosis of DM. Dogs testing At-Risk (A/A) can
only
pass the mutated gene on to their offspring.

--
Visit us on the web!

_ (http://www.pinehillgsds.com/) http://kimberliteshepherds.googlepages.com/