[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Furkids? PawParents?

  • From: "Jack Kilgour" <jackkilgour@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <charangsd@xxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:41:09 -0700

Angie,
LOL....how can I help?....I get myself into too much trouble when I get
serious and passionate about a cause so worthy...perhaps it's the defiant
bloodline of Ukrainian Warriors on my Mom's side...and the wild Scots on my
Dad's side.....sheesh...and you think I might be of some help with animal
rights organizations?  Hehehehe...let me at them!

Stormy,
(sorry for this "blah"...I felt inspired and called to
duty....hehehhhehe...now as I go back and read it, I rather wince at the
thought of pressing "send"....but...lol....here goes anyway).
I confess I have not been reading the legislation nor many of the
articles/issues surrounding the animal rights movement.  I will tell you I
feel I did my breed and the sport of breeding purebred dogs a favor by
reading what you posted today...thank you.  It was enlightening, and it was
thought-provoking....and your style of writing is such that is keeps us (the
learner/reader) engaged.

This is not something I feel learned or confident about....not to start
firing off hot-toddy thoughts on some possible remedies.....however....let
me toss out a few things anyway....because from the ignorant may come even
one thought or idea that eventually leads to a plan........

1) As much as the animal rights movement (which I hope never get capitalized
lettering) is a manipulating, game-changing entity.....they have saved the
lives of animals...of dogs...of cats...of horses...etc...etc...purebred and
otherwise...maybe we should thank some people for saving some lives...
2) I want to make them (a.r.o.'s)the mortal enemy, but I wonder if their
arrival wasn't in some way helpful to us.  Admittedly their thoughts/beliefs
are far too often extreme, illegitimate and fueled but a "kill" the our
breeding kennel community....at the same time I'm pretty sure a few of the
kennels, catteries, horse-farms (lingo) needed to be shut down....  If the
lives of domesticated, "for-the-breed" or "for-profit" animals have been
saved..."rescued and brought back to the love of others...then maybe they
were supposed to come and maybe they need to stay.
3) That last point is moot as I'm sure NO force/collaboration can make them
go away....and so we likely need to think about learning to live with
them...and saying "thank you" for what positive contributions they have
made....and maybe I'm naïve but can we not try to get along with them so we
might educate them about what we do and what we really want/need them to do?
Or at least educate them on some moderating medications that are out there
for them to take? <g>.
4)This got me thinking about the British...and how they dealt with their
over-populated prisons...the thousands and thousands of murderers, rapists,
thieves and "radical, politically-misguided activists"....well they decided
to start yet another Nation (Continent) of Australia....lol....yep, there
were several large boats of men and women (criminals) who were told to go
kill each other or get along...you're free but it may not be easy!  What's
my point as it relates to a.r.o.'s?  I don't know.....but if we at least
know their numbers and if more is done by us in a stealth-type mode to
amicably work with them (when needed) ......perhaps in time....(10 - 15
years as a realistic goal????), maybe we can get them focused on or even
regulated to where they are still needed - the puppy mills and such....the
physically abusive "pet" homes that far too often garner attention...maybe
if we all commit to opening our eyes, ears and our mouths a little more
often.....maybe we will become voices from the wilderness for thought?  We
might realize an animal or group of animals (a kennel) are in danger?
Hmmmmmm......yikes.....that can get's tricky, can't it?  Who wants to even
think about casting aspersions on another "breeder" for instance....even
once in our lifetimes where we're actually to the point of turning some one
in to the 'authorities".....and yet those situations have happened and
likely some of them were necessary interventions.  Often is the case in such
reports where the legitimate breeder doesn't thinks he or she isn't
over=breeding or neglecting their stock in.....and maybe they aren't!!
Perhaps the truth comes with time - and coaching - and maybe, in some
instances, what our community members have to say to each other will
positive change way certain people keep animals.....maybe......
5) Wow...here I go, off on a bit of a tangent....but maybe if we think about
Human Beings for a moment ...those children and women and the other groups
of people....those who were enslaved, abused - neglected - sacrificed,
starved and killed .....why? Because of greed or disrespect....there were
not shelters for them 100-150 years ago, were there?  (well, maybe some went
to the safety of the Nuns or similar, but I think they (the victims) were
often told to suck it up and go back "home" where they belonged).
Thankfully we have Civil Rights and Human rights and freedoms....and there
are organizations who are actively out there protecting the lives of the
innocent......not always...and certainly we need to be
better.....hmmmmmm......am I getting into murky waters?  I thinks so...and
so I'll go just a bit further....
6)  I gather having "laws" that exist to protect the rights of animals is
not something "our side" wants?  I apologize for that level of removal from
this issue....but I can't apologize for thinking there are organizations
(lets just call them "shelters") that are needed to protect the lives and
safety of animals who are being abused.....in homes, in dog-fighting
businesses, in kennels!
7) Furthermore, I appreciate legislation when it more clearly defines a
person's rights and the rules of owning/operating a business......in our
case, can we suppose for a moment there are a few benefits to legislating
the way we conduct ourselves as breeders?  I'm going to close soon because I
now see how ignorant I am on these matters...how much I should be reading
and fighting more for what I believe....but I also want to always remember
why I loved and still love this sport of purebred dogs...I was born into it,
and being so close to Mom made me so supportive of her great love of
breeding better, stronger, healthier German Shepherd Dogs.  Then I met "the
breed" and realized what magnificent, versatile, amazing creatures they
are...and my respect grew as I learned more about the ever so powerful mind
of our German Shepherd Dog...
Were there times in our "breeding kennel" history where I believed we didn't
have enough time for all of them? One year I remember "litters happened" at
our kennel...lol...like there was something in the well water <g>......like
never before...and low and behold by the next spring we had THIRTEEN (13)
dogs over the age of 6 months old... Mom and I made sure they were housed,
and warm, and fed,  watered and vetted.... we knew we were in too deep and
we also knew our responsibilities had become greater....WOW....what a blur
that time was.....
Within a year we had our number of dogs back down to 8 or 9, and when we
could "retire" one or two we often hovered around 6-7 dogs. We usually had a
litter or so a year and there was lots of excitement and thought and love
and hope that went into each one of those decisions of bringing a brood into
this world...... hmmmmm....today I know (and even back then when I was 10
years old I KNEW) our breed deserved and needed more that Mom and I could
offer...more "working" with those beautiful minds was needed when had 13 of
them....we suddenly and quite accidently got in too deep and we were in
"management" and "good maintenance" mode, but there's no way each the dogs
received the attention they deserved had been accustomed to.....there are
other breeders who manage 20 or 30 dogs (or more) and they do just
fine...ah....by the way... what's fine? I guess this is no easy process,
because there is/was a culture of raising purebred dogs...where we as
breeders were NOT governed or policed (except by ourselves).  Maybe that's
the way it needs to stay damn it! <g> Or...maybe we coach and mentor each
other ...just open communication without trying to start wars....perhaps we
write long-winded, pity party time zone emails because Angie (who I've known
and loved for more than 25 years) say "jack help".....
o.k. Angie....not sure I did that...but I think I am now committed to
educating myself and trying to become part of a cohesive, functional future
for our rights to breed purebred German Shepherd Dogs while also better
supporting and educating society and our breeding community on the moral
obligations we accept when deciding to "own" and "raise" a domestic animal.
jack