[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fruitcake

  • From: "Susan Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showlist" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:10:37 -0800

ok, folks.. another person who LOVES fruitcake is my husband.. but he likes
the DARK one..no matter which ones I buy (I have never made this stuff) and
even though it is labeled as dark, for him it is never dark enough. His mom
always made it, but the recipe has been lost.... I'm sitting here thinking I
might try this - making him some Christmas cake.. there are only about a
gazillion recipes on the net for 'dark Christmas cake" but I need to make
sure it will be dark enough.. so my questions:
what makes it dark??? I suspect it is the molasses, but lots of recipes
identified as 'dark" don't have molasses, so is it the brown sugar?? also,
some recipes say age for 3 weeks, others say 3 months, a couple say a year..
it is only 5 or so weeks to Christmas, but he can eat Christmas cake
anytime, so I am not bothered if it isn't ready for Dec. 25.. no one else in
the family eats it anyway.. for him, just getting home made will be a huge
treat..

so, can anyone help??
THANKS!!!
Sue