[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Front Page web site question

  • From: Lew <lew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 19:15:02 -0600

Come on guys, lets not scream "Wolf" unnecessarily.

1. Many people who design with FrontPage did not use any of the FrontPage extensions. It is the extensions that are no longer supported. However, most FrontPage web sites either didn't use them at all (like in Carolyn's case) or the FrontPage specific code can be changed.

2. As I have shown Carolyn, it is easy to "grab" a website and upload it to a new host. I did Carolyn's home page to show her a sample.

I am not here to sell my web design or web hosting services so please don't construe this as an ad. I want people who have that hopeless feeling that not all is lost and you can't always believe the hype. Below is some free advice not related to my hosting and design services.

There are FREE web site design programs including a couple from Microsoft. Yes, there will a learning curve if you choose to work on your own site.

The very best web site design program is Dreamweaver but it retails for $400....there are Dreamweaver clones and there are a variety of programs that work nearly as well and some even have WYSIWYG features.

I will even go one step further...for those who lost their site, there is even a partial solution for that. Google owns a service called "The Wayback Machine". Every now and then Google will spider your site and grab a copy and store it. They partially do it for their searches but it also a way I have recovered some "lost" sites.

To summarize... You can generally convert a FrontPage site to non-FrontPage mode, i.e. standard HTML. There are a lot of hosting companies where you can host your "vanilla" (non-Frontpage) site. There is a way to convert/move your web site from one host to another, and finally there are people who can help you do it, so not all is lost!!

Chin up!

Lew

On 6/10/2015 5:53 PM, Karen Shirk (Redacted sender karen4paws@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

I lost the entire website Liz designed in Frontpage. The Internet outgrew it. You won't find anywhere to host it. Unfortunately I know of no way to transfer it to another program. You just have to redesign your website :0(

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 10, 2015, at 7:42 PM, David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Following Liz Leichhorn’s passing several had that problem. We were able to help get some web sites redone and up and working. Liz was the master of Front Page, but even Microsoft has given up on it now and provides no support. Check out http://candiasgsd.net/ and see what you think. I do not think much of GoDaddy and if and when you contact them, they usually have some fancy dance to sell you something else with great promises. It sounds much like the government and health care!!!

Dave