[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Front Page web site question

  • From: Lew <lew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shebland@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:10:12 -0600

Netfirms does partial FrontPage hosting and their support sections lists the aspects of FrontPage they don't support.

There are two ways of supporting FrontPage on the server side.

1. Running your web site on Windows Server. They are using Windows Server 2003 which will no longer be supported by Microsoft starting this July 14th. 34 day, 3 hours, 52 minutes remaining.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2003/

They want places using 2003 to upgrade to 2012, either way, there is no more support for FP. If places like Netfirms doesn't migrate to 2012, they will day-by-day face new security risks.

2. If you are instead running on their Unix-based support, they offer partial FrontPage support by making modifications to their operating system to interpret *some* of the FP commands. They may or may not be the commands that MS acknowledges have been hacked and there is no certainty Netfirms will continue to support FP.

FrontPage is an obsolete product "abandoned" by it's creator which suggests those who haven't been abandoned yet will be some day and that day is sooner vs. later.

The experiences people are having is a harbinger of things to come and anyone using FP should be exploring alternative options.

Sorry for monopolizing the list with this issue but it is obvious several users and their web site are or have been affected by this issue. It is important for people to be armed with facts, not rumors and hearsay.

Thanks!

On 6/10/2015 7:40 PM, Darlene Smith wrote:

I do my website in Front Page and I continue to update it with no problem.
It is hosted by Netfirms. I use WS_FTP Home to ftp the files to my site. I also look after our club website, in the same manner.
Darlene
Shebland GSDs

--
Lew Wurdeman