[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: From puppies to Stud Service

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

I tend to be rather positive with people - and by the time I am done having a
wonderful time with them, they are happy they have a nice dog but are
reconsidering the cost of everything. I suggest that they ask their vet for a
price list - and I know most of the companion vets here will go ballistic at
the thought of anyone breeding their bitch. I just casually mention the
c-sections, the testing, the sleepless nights, the cost of food, the messes to
clean up, etc. But all the time I explain that if you have the passion to breed
quality dogs and the will to raise them properly, socialize them properly,
etc, then it is wonderful. Usually before I am done, they are pretty sure they
don't want to do this.
I never want to make people feel their dog is inferior because if they love
their dog, it certainly is a good dog for them. But they do need to hear about
the reality of breeding.
Ruth (sitting here watching puppies grow)