[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: From AKC

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 07:10:57 -0700 (PDT)

Kathy, exactly, the dogs were dismissed but this does not happen at Dog Shows
very often. It takes a brave judge to dismiss a dog they know as unsound
in temperament.  I have seen this happen but not very often since a life
does not depend on it. I know of police and guide dogs too that failed and
were placed in pet homes.

The owner can have a effect on a dog but still it is what makes up the dog
that decides the outcome. Seeing dogs living in the same household
where some dogs are just naturally timid and the others deal with
anything that comes forward still proves to me that temperament is genetic.

Not all dogs will ever have sound temperament regardless of who they live
with or how they are trained.  They are a loose cannon waiting to explode
at any given time.  These dogs should never be bred to carry the trait on.
The idea if a dog is not good enough to show, etc. it goes to a pet home is
getting old in my book.  I was a breeder so know that any animal needs
to be sound of mind, genetically healthy,  of Breed Standard with
correct conformation.

Bottom line is all dogs can Show but only a few should breed on.  Ribbons,
trophies, etc. do not make the dog worthy of breeding.  Individuals can hide
faults in their dogs,  but breeding off of unsound animals needs to stop.

I watch, while listening to people talk about how they would not show or
own the dogs showing fear. The problem will always be people in a breed
get use to seeing the shy temperament, conformation faults, health issues in
their breed with some seeing no reason to change it.  I had a person tell
me at an event to get a  Belgian Malinois they do not have the health issues
of a GSD. I will always own GSD's but see it is going to be very hard to
find my next one when I need to,  but I will. I still do see some very nice ones
out there showing.

Theresa

On Sat, 9/29/12, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I am remembering a trainer for the police in Philly. First day of class, big
auditorium. He greeted the officers and their very new dogs and promptly threw
a metal chair on the concrete floor. More than 1/2 of the young, untrained dogs
hit the deck. They were dismissed from the program.
How many times have I heard of seeing eye dogs (multiple breeds) wash out of a
program?

You, Theresa, just never got to see the fearful ones because they were
(correctly) removed from the program.

Breeding does play a big part in it BUT the longer I am in dogs the more weight
I give to environment. I have seen perfectly sound dogs ruined by a neurotic
owner. (You'll notice if you watch closely that this same owner has issues with
all of their dogs over the years, could even be different breeds). I have seen
perfectly sound puppies go into homes where an older dog is sound sensitive
(thunder) and "learn" that behavior. I have TAKEN dogs that some would say were
really off and they have changed like flipping a light switch.

In our breed too many dogs spend a lot of time in pens, don't have the benefit
of early and good socialization and then are stuck in the middle of a ring with
absolutely no knowledge of what is expected of them. And all of the experts on
the outside of the ring grab their catalog to blame the parents. Sad:(

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC