[ SHOWGSD-L ] Friend has a sick dog looking for ideas

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "CMILL189@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:55:49 -0400

Hi Everyone, I just received this email from one of our new club members.
Does anyone have any ideas I can pass on to her? I told her to be sure to
have her vet check for tic born illnesses and lepto. thanks, Cindy

Reaching out to you both for some much needed advice. I feel that we are
watching Our dog deteriorate in front of our eyes. I'm not sleeping for
fear that he will pass away. I also am a wreck because we can't find out
what is wrong with him and can't give him any relief.

Nero is our 1 & 1/2 year old intact male. He has been sick since Easter
or shortly after. He started with a reverse type of cough, like a whale
blowing air. We went to the vets and they put him on an antibiotic. We
went back to vets 4 days later. He was lethargic, not eating well, coughing
slightly. He had no fever, they did blood work and sent it out returning
with no infection and functions normal. He had lost 5 lbs.

His coughing has stopped. However now he appears to be in pain, as he is
not comfortable, is hiding going from crate to crate, under beds, chairs
and tables. His ears are back and he keeps turning his head swiftly as he is
looking at his backside. He seems to be eating better. He just spent the
day at the vet being xrayed and ultrasounded for obstructions. They said
everything looks normal. Still no fever. They took more blood and sent it
out for addisons disease. That came back normal. He has lost 5 more
pounds.

I checked on line for symtoms of the dog flu. He has some of the symtoms
but our other two dogs are fine and Nero hasn't had a fever. The two
episodes listed above may be unrelated and as the flu is highly contagious I
don't think he has it.

Do you have any ideas. I have been worried that he has a partial
obstruction which our vets did not see in the xrays and ultrsound. Do you
think we
should take him to Tufts or can you recommend someone. I really don't
want to do exploratory surgery at this time.

Any help/advice/knowledge you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Craig & Cindy Miller
Champion Kennels All pets Treated as Champions
MillerTime Shepherds
German Shepherds with Style