[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fresh Chilled Semen Breedings

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <shebland@xxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:41:08 -0700

Hi Darlene;
We have done both.   Quite a few with our stud dogs and a couple with our
bitches.   We have had incredibly good luck on BOTH ends...stud and bitch.
HOWEVER we use a great Repro Vet or I.C.S.B. who is close by us, to
collect our studs and handle implant if it is our bitch.   We don't use a 'kit'
as the process is expensive and whatever insures the best success is the
only way.   That means a qualified and experienced Vet on BOTH ends!
( IF it is for your own stud and your own bitch.....that's a different story. )
We will not ship chilled semen for an A.I. or for a transcervical implant.
Too expensive for the risk of failure as for some reason neither is as
successful with GSD as other Breeds.    Vet's will tell you they have great
success with the A.I.'s or T.C. Implant.....but ask them how many are GSD's!
Obviously some do work.......but the "odds" go way down.
1.  Actual Lab for the progesterone tests.
2.  Chilled semen should NEVER be even chilled down without being
     evaluated under the microscope.....let alone packaged and shipped.
3.  We have shipped Fed Ex only.......twice on an airplane ourselves
     because it was days that Fed Ex was not flying.   Over Night ONLY.
4.  If the Vet at BOTH ends isn't experienced...don't do it.   Especially the
     Vet handling the bitch and the implant and progesterone tests.
5.  Amazing success.   A few failures....but usually there is a reason....like
     the progesterone numbers were off....cysts on bitch, inexperienced Vet.
6.  BIGGEST problem is the timing......stud dog owner, Vets and timing are
     all at the mercy of the progesterone tests.    If the numbers are right on
     the weekend and Fed Ex won't fly out the pkg., your Vet is gone, or a
     Holiday and NOBODY is around,  stud going to a show at the time, etc.
8.  Price is hard to call......it is different in different areas of the Country
    and each Vet seems to have his own price range.   You need to take that
    up with your Vet and the studs Vet.    It is often cheaper than shipping
    and a lot better for bitches that are difficult to breed or have cysts, etc.
    Normally....we have the bitch owner put the collection, exam, packaging,
    kit, shipping of the chilled semen on their Credit card as our Vet and the
    I.C.S.B. people have gotten so they won't do it any other way.  Those costs
    are up to the bitch owner to pay.....along with stud fee.    Stud fee should
    be due once the Vet on the other end examines the chilled semen at time
    of arrival before inseminating the bitch.   Some semen does not ship well
    no matter how great it is at time of packaging.
    And....No......collecting the stud does NOT make him not interested in
    natural Breedings.......at least not ours.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Darlene Smith" <shebland@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Fresh Chilled Semen Breedings

>I would like to hear the experiences of those (both stud dog owners and bitch
>owners)
 who have done breedings by Shipped Fresh Chilled Semen.> Could you discuss the
following:

> 1.  Was ovulation timing done?; Did you use a kit like PreMate, OR, actual
> lab
values of progesterone?