[ SHOWGSD-L ] Free BLOOD CARDS

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

There are approximately 125 FREE BLOOD CARDS AVAILABLE, to those of you who
wish to participate. They are looking for healthy dogs with no signs of any
neurological conditions. The data will be totally private, with a few simple
questions, however if you desire the info to be posted on OFA that option is
available. Please contact me privately for further information . Morgan

  As of now, we want to sample only *Standard* GSDS from the USA, as that is
what we have already sampled. Consistency in the research is very important, so
as not to skew the results. If in the future, other GSD clubs around the world
would like to chip in with research funds, we could easily expand our research.
However, with the GSD Club  financing this study, we need to test as many of
our own dogs, here in the USA, as possible. From the samples we have been
looking at, it appears that 19.6% (approximately) of GSD carry the change in
the canine
version of MHCII which puts them at risk of developing GSDM. That figure is
much higher than we originally suspected :( People need to get serious about
DM, realize it is a real problem in the breed and support the research. Failure
to do so will be like asking for whom the bell tolls- it will be for our breed
:(
  As far as breeding a dog with a positive  DM marker- here is DR Clemmons
position.
  " I do not advocate elimination of dogs with these changes from the gene
pool, but it
is one consideration for whether to use them in breeding. If they bring
something else to the breed that no similar "negative" dog does not, then it
would be a shame to loose their genetic potential. Working with their
offspring should then be done to keep the good traits and eliminate any bad
ones. However, that requires lots of thought and careful record keeping to
achieve. I have always thought that breeders should decide what they want to
achieve, categorize it, prioritize it and judge all matings based upon the
ideal outcome. In that case, the presence of a "positive" would be a
negative. Any animal that fell below some high measure of the ideal, would
not be used in breeding. In that way, a flash test can still be part of
rational breeding, just like deciding upon good teeth and temperament.
Ultimately it is up to the breed to determine what to do. We are trying to
make it so that people can make informed choices and to help diagnose and
treat those who are ill. However, since we see a relationship to this
genetics and the disease (in almost all cases), that does bring into
question whether genetic testing is important. For the dog who gets GSDM and
the owner of a dog who might get GSDM, it is certainly a concern.
  Dr Clemmons"
  .
  Yes, you may forward this message :)

TV dinner still cooling?