[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fred and Wilma finally show at the National (conclusion)

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:05:42 -0500

   Fred and Wilma finally show at the National (conclusion)

by

Barbara J. Galasso

Fred is out of breath as he comes up around the other side of the ring
to where Jimmy is standing and asks him what he thinks about his
performance with Koochie.  Koochie is all excited and is jumping up
trying to kiss Fred in the face.  He's such a big, clumsy dog, that he
ends up smacking Fred in the nose which gives him a nose bleed.  Jim
feels embarrassed for Fred and asks him if he would like a tissue to
wipe the blood off his face.   He searches in his pocket and pulls out a
kleenex and hands it to Fred.  Fred takes the kleenex and thanks Jimmy,
and while blowing his nose, he asks, "So Jim, tell me what you think of
my big super star boy here now that you've had a good chance to see what
he looks like." "Never seen nothing like him in your life, have you?",
Fred proclaims proudly.  Jim fights with all his power not to laugh at
the man with the blood running down his nose.  Jim who is normally not
one for a loss of words, doesn't want to hurt the guy who has just made
a fool of himself in front of hundreds of people so he chooses his words
wisely.

Fred has a big proud grin on his face, expecting all these great
superlatives to explain how gorgeous Koochie is.   Jim clears his
throat.  He says to Fred, "listen man, I know how much you love your dog
and how much he means to you, but he's just not the kind of dog that's
winning in the ring today."  And in his mind he's saying to himself
,"nor was he the type that won years ago, or will he ever be the type to
win at any other time for that matter."   He realizes he has a silly
grin on his face to match the silly, bewildered, and stunned look that
meets his eyes from Fred.  He quickly wipes the smirk off his face and
puts his hand on his chin in contemplation as to what he wants to say to
this overly eager man who is looking for words of encouragement from him.

"So what are you saying to me Jim", Fred asks.  "Should I take some
weight off of him to make him look skinny like the rest of the dogs in
the ring?"   "I mean if that's what has to be done, I can do that", he
tells him, knowing that Koochie isn't going to like eating less food.
"I mean I'll do what ever it takes to make my dog a winner Jim," he
continues.  "You just tell me what I need to do, Fred pleads.  Jim is
getting uncomfortable, but tells him straight out, "you need to buy
yourself a good bitch".  "Anyone knows that a kennel is only as good as
it's bitches".  "Gee Jim, Fred says, "I've spent so much money on
getting Koochie here to this show and everything and now I have to spend
some more money buying another animal?"  "Yup, I'm afraid so Jimmy tells
him."  "All right Jim if that's what you think needs to be done."  "Then
it looks like I need to buy myself a nice bitch ", Fred agrees.  Fred is
calculating in his mind all the money it took to drive Koochie all the
way down here to North Carolina from New Hampshire.  Now he's got to
think of putting out more money to buy another dog on top of it.  He
tells himself, "See that's what I get for buying this polyester suit
from K-Mart."  "This man thinks I've got lot's of money or something."
"It just goes to show you how people judge you by the clothes you wear",
he tells himself.  "I've got to remember that the next time I show
something, he tells himself.  "I walk in the ring like a big shot and
this man thinks I've got lot's of change jingling in my pockets", he
thinks to himself.

Jim continues, "then when you get that bitch, I would suggest you take
her to Houston".  "Houston?" Fred protests.  "Yes, if you want a winner,
Houston is the way to go."  Just then, Jimmy is called into the middle
of the ring for examination of his dog and Fred is left on the side of
the ring scratching his head saying to himself, just wait until I tell
Wilma this one."  Fred is now put into the group of "you guys don't
stand a chance in hell section", and then excused.  He walks out of the
ring with  Koochie and feeling a little more than rejected walks over to
where Wilma is sitting with some friends.

Wilma says to him, "well Fred you tried dear and did the best you
could", she tells him sympathetically.  "That was a big class you were
in," she continues.  "I saw you talking to Jimmy Moocher out there for a
long time".  "What were the two of you talking about", she asks him.
Fred has his head held down and is mumbling in response to her question
not feeling too happy about just being dumped.  "Fred, I can't hear a
word you're saying, she says to him.  He speaks up louder so she and her
friends can hear him.  "Jimmy told me I should buy myself a good bitch
and then take her to Houston.  "Wilma we don't have this kind of money
to be buying another animal and then driving to Houston to show the
bitch there," he tells her.  "I might dress well, but I'm not a wealthy
man, you know Wilma," he cries.  "Why can't I just show the bitch
locally?" he asks her.  "Why do I have to take her down to Houston?" he
protests.  "Do you know how long of a trip that will be?", he says.
"Besides I don't think my boss is going to let me off again for awhile",
he tells her.  "Burger Giant gets very busy this time of year, you
know."  "Nope I just don't see how this is going to be done, he says.

By this time, Wilma's friends are laughing so hard that the tears are
rolling down their faces.  Wilma's face is red with embarrassment.  Fred
continues to ramble on about the expense of another dog and about
traveling to Houston and Wilma, gives him a quick pinch in the arm to
shut him up.  "Ouch, what'd you do that for, he asks her in anger.
"Fred, how long have we've been in dogs now?" she asks him.  "About a
year," he answers her. "Don't you know who Houston is", she asks him.
"Of course I do," he tells her.  "I took geography in school too you
know, he tells her.  "I may have only gone up to the 10th. grade, but I
still know where Houston is", he says.  "This is not about geography,
you fool," she screams at him.  Some people turn their heads who are
sitting in the rolls in front of them.

"When Jimmy told you to take the new bitch to Houston, he didn't mean
the city in Texas, you idiot," she yells at him.  "He meant for you to
breed to the dog who they call Houston", she tells the dumbfounded
Fred.  "He's the number one producing sire in the country."  "Yeah, but
I thought his name "was what cha ma call it", he says clicking his
fingers trying to remember the dogs registered name.  Wilma fills him
in.  "His name is "Sight for Swollen Eyes" and they call him Houston,
she tells him impatiently.

Fred gets even more frustrated and throwing his hands up in the air
totally disgusted by now, says "Okay Wilma, me and Koochie are going to
go get us some of those foot long hotdogs and those french fries with
the cheez wiz on it and you can sit here all day talking to your stuffy
friends."  "And I'll tell you another thing Wilma, if we buy ourselves a
bitch, she's going to be bred to Koochie."  Never mind this Houston dog
or "Sight for Swollen Eyes", or whatever you want to call him".  "Who
ever heard of such a name for a dog anyway?", he says mumbling to
himself.  "They haven't heard the last from me and Koochie, no sir, I
can tell you that much".  "We'll make a name for ourselves in this breed
yet, you just watch and see, he says as he quickens his step walking
away in protest.  One of Mildred friends whispers to her other friend,
"I think he already has."