[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fox Mange

  • From: Steve Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:29:48 -0700 (PDT)

We have recently had to treat several of our GSDs for Fox Mange.  This is a
relatively new skin disorder, caused by a Mite that thrives in a hot, humid
climate.  The symptoms are incessant itching, dry scaly skin, and massive hair
loss, far more than normal seasonal coat loss.  A skin scraping is used to
diagnose it. It has become a major problem in the Northeast especially, and it
is a major-league nuisance here in Maine.  Foxes spread it to Dogs through the
grass and soil.  We are out in the Woods, and there are all kinds of wild
animals nearby, including Foxes.

We had this problem last summer, but it was so new that our Vet didn't
recognize it.  We treated it as a bacterial infection, using Cephalexin and
medicated shampoo.  That held it at bay but didn't cure it.  It  disappeared
about the end of October, when the cold weaher killed the Mites in the yard.

The accepted Treatment now is Ivermectin liquid, 1.5 cc  in 4 Doses a week
apart, using an oral Syringe.  We are giving Benadryl, 25  mg tablets twice a
day to cut down on the itching.  Our vet wanted to use Prednisone for the
itching, but that is very hard on the Dog's system, so we switched to Benadryl,
with good results.

To kill the Mites in the yard, we are using Cutter Bug-Free Backyard spray that
hooks onto the Hose.  It requires 3 treatments about 10 days apart.  The
Bug-Free also kills fleas, for anyone who is having that problem because of the
weather.

Steve

Board Member Last Hope Safe Haven for German Shepherds
Visit us online at http://www.lhsh.org. ; New Website as of 6/5/12

"The same prudence which in private life would forbid our paying our own money
for unexplained projects, forbids it in the dispensation of the public moneys."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to Shelton Gilliam, 1808