[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Four SHOWS

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 14:17:56 -0700

I believe Carolyn is right on the money.  It is the wave of the future, or
present.
It is a looong drive from one end of our state to the other.  I don't know
about the folks
in No. Cal, but if we could eliminate driving more than once it would be a
godsend.
This is not only because of the cost of hotels, and the time (oh that 5
freeway, ugh zzzzzz)
but GAS is enormously expensive.
While it may be a tiring weekend for exhibitors and clubs, alike, a 3 or 4
show weekend is very appealing.  Now that the GSDCA can do "regional shows"
it means that , like the PNW
this year, there will be more than only two club specialties.  YES!
Also, exhibitors always seem to gravitate to clubs that give "value added"
type shows.
It can be omething as simple as being able to leave your set up or tent on
the grounds, secure, not having to set up and break down each day.   It can
be a great lunch.  Or it can be wash area s and dry areas with shampoos
provided.
I believe it was one of our local clubs that offered tents to "fly in"
exhibitors, for a small fee.
Add  a couple of cheap chairs and you have a terrific idea!!!!!!  <G>
With exhibitors having to pick and choose where and when to spend the
elusive dollar these days, there needs to be SOMETHNG to set clubs apart, to
make it more appealing.

As far as clubs not having enough young  or even not so young but new
members to get it done, perhaps it is because they have little if any voice
in the club, but end up being the pack mules, only.   Not all clubs by any
means.  But we  do see it, and it is off -putting to would be members.
When only one or two people hold all the cards on decision making  input,
and "this is the way things have always been, and are going to be, everyone
else be dipped," the rest of the members, are "Non Entities", then what is
the draw?  If clubs want new members to help with the work, then they might
want to make sure they are treated as if they are actually wanted .   Many
clubs are great at this...some, sadly, that are in danger of folding, may be
guilty of this very thing.

Four shows, three shows...all good, and now probably necessary.
Kathy

http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
PUP-DATED:  MARCH 24, 2010
Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

"Victory... There's Something In a Name"