[ SHOWGSD-L ] Foster Dog 1/2 years

  • From: lollark@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Da List)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:50:31 +0000

My admiration goes to all of you who regularly foster dogs that others don't
want.  My daughter, the groomer, had a customer with a young male gsd.  No
manners at all.  I called him crazy dog.  We'd take him out front and let him
run for a while so he could settle down for a bath.  I told my daughter, "this
one will end up in the shelter".  Kara advised more exercise and obedience
training for the young male (not neutered).  Not bad people just too busy and
too inexperienced for a take charge dog. They bought a shock collar. No
improvement--in fact one day the dog raced through the door and knocked down
his big burly owner.  They said "that's enough" and asked Kara if she could
find him a home.
We have lived with this dog for 3 weeks and is a bundle of powerful energy.  We
had him neutered. We're trying to civilize him (obedience basics and lots of
running and games) . We hope to find him a home with someone who knows
obedience work and can offer the exercise he needs to dissipate all that
energy.  He likes people a lot and kids.  He likes other dogs but he's so
boisterous he is not ususally welcome to play.  My male wants NOTHING to do
with him. We're doing what we can but he needs devoted social rehab.  If you'd
like pictures send me a private email.  My prayer is that the right family
comes along for this guy and he learns what a dog is supposed to do.  Listen,
enjoy, relax, play, work.

Again, you real foster/rescue people are inCREDible!  this is WORK!! :-:-)
Karen Lollar