[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: For those on AOL

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:19:26 EST

I actually get almost no spam in my AOL email.  Maybe one or  two
a month, unless you count companies I buy online from.  I'm a
programmer analyst and receive a lot of computer related news
by email at work.  There are a lot of anti-aol posters and  bloggers
who blow this out of proportion - usually proponents of other ISP's
and extremists, such as Moveon.org.  The actual amount charged
would be 1/4 of a penny per email and is not required for business
to email to AOL customers in the normal  way.  It 'certifies' the
email coming from a customer server so it will bypass the anti
spam server.  If the friends you refer to are emailing their AOL
customers now, there is no reason they would need to  purchase
this service.

This is one well researched article that puts a better perspective
on the matter, as well as showing the fallacy of many of the claims
being spread.  This is directed to managers and team leaders in  IT:

_http://www.issurvivor.com/default.asp_
(http://www.issurvivor.com/default.asp)

The other email provider planning this test is Yahoo.  This is  the
explanation on their site:

    Is Yahoo! planning  â??per-message feesâ?? to deliver email?
In a word, NO! We are not going to require payment for people (or  businesses
and organizations) to send email to Yahoo! Mail users. . Yahoo!  remains
committed to providing a free world class email service.
There has been a lot of press lately about a "certified email" test  we're
working on with our partner, Goodmail. With this optional program,  companies
that send transactional email, such as bank account statements  and purchase
receipts to their customers can pay to get a "stamp of  approval" -- so when it
hits your Inbox you know it's from a certified  company.
For years, one of our highest priorities has been to protect users from  spam
and email scams, and to ensure users receive the messages they want  and
value. This "certified mail" is another way we're looking to protect  your
Inbox,
with the goal of providing additional user protection against  spam and
phishing scams.

--------------

In a message dated 3/2/2006 9:00:32 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

That is  not how it is being written about in the articles I have read.   I
posted one of them not to long ago.
This WILL be a problem for a  number of listserves that I get email from. A
couple of them are privately  owned. One in particular is owned by a married
couple. They run it out of  their house. That list has well over 2000
members - many of them on  AOL.  They will NOT pay to deliver to AOL
customers.

This is a  bad idea. And for that matter.. the NUMBER ONE source of spam that
I get in  my AOL account is from AOL email addresses!!!!!

Ginger Cleary
Rome,  GA
www.rihadin.com