[ SHOWGSD-L ] For Evan, a question on owner handling

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:06:11 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2005 11:30:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
But it  appears he always handles his own dogs(has done so at the Nationals I
have  been to anyway) and seems do so successfully. Evan is this true?

No.

 I have handled a number of my own dogs but often we have worked with  the
best handlers, and with great success. Jerry Guzman is one of our favorites
and
often it is more fun to have him handle than to go against him.  He and  Ken
Tank handled Chimes to her Select rating in Canada, and then Jerry to her
Select and Championship in the United States. I might have put a point on her,
but I can't remember.

I did put a number of the points on O'Connor, but Jerry was there to save  me
when I needed it.  He won the Futurity with me on him, but before the  show
Jack Newton told me I might win with a handler, and after the show, Kevin  (who
judged), told me the same thing.

I have shown to a number of Selects myself.  In 1982 Jerry gave up his
Champion male and Champion bitch in Specials. I showed the bitch to number two
Select and the male also went Number two Select. Just a coincidence.

Jerry was asked what it costs to finish a German shepherd. His answer was
about $500 a point for a good one, but for an average dog, "a small house in
the
 country".

I love to go in the ring. If I were younger, I would never hire a handler,
and never finish many dogs.  But, for me, the fun is showing not  winning.  So,
I still take them in now and then.

If I have the best animal, even I can win. One of the times with O'Connor
Jerry won the American Bred Class, and a Ben son with Jerry won the Open
Class.
 I asked Jerry what he wanted to do, and he said he would take in  the Open
Dog, and I should take in O'Connor.  I went back in with O'Connor  and took the
points. Jerry went Reserve, (I think).  It is more often than  not the dog,
not the handler.

And what  has been your experience overall in getting a dog finished as an
owner-handler?

I have finished more on my own, than with a professional, but I sure do  love
what I see from outside the ring. One time in Phoenix I asked Cindy
Tellefson to show Fred Ben.  I never saw him look that good, (Ben not  Fred).

I finished Ben with myself on the end of the lead. It was great fun to
finish him, but even more so because at that show it came down to Jerry and me
again. He had the Open dog, and Ben won American Bred.  I am not half the
handler he is, but for me it is pure joy to handle my own dog, and a bonus to
win.
However, when we decided to show Ben just one time in Veterans, he  was with
Jerry.  He went Best Of Breed.

I am not all as stupid as people say.

I have a few more shows in me, and then it will be with handlers, or not at
all. I have decided to practice law until I am so senile no one will hire me.
I  am going to handle until I am so uncoordinated I can't win with the best
dog.  Some say that has already happened, but so far Tedi hasn't said so,  and
she is the only one I listen to.

If you enjoy going in the ring, go for it. If you enjoy seeing your dog win
with a handler, that is what you should do.  The most important thing is to
enjoy this sport. Some think the only way to enjoy it is to win, I find going
in  the ring, the people I see, my friends and the great dogs make it fun for
me.  Winning is just how you keep score.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together