[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Food issues

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: KHeckman@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:53:39 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2007 8:43:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
KHeckman@xxxxxxxxx writes:
What is  up with that?  I feed his 2 times a day, and before,
I was leaving  kibble out for him while I was gone during the day.  I am
concerned he  may loose weight, and get sick.  Any tricks to get him to
eat more and  stop the burying of the food?

I would stop w/ the raw (for now, again, not starting a food fight, I  just
wouldn't want him thinking he can save it for later, the other dogs getting  to
it, yada, yada.)
I would NOT leave food sitting, again, he'll just graze and think he can go
back later.  I would try feeding him in a crate with a really good eater
crated next to him.  He gets his food offered for 20 minutes, then pick it  up
and
put it away.  Or better yet, if you have a really cooperative good  eater,
let the old dog pick for 20 minutes, then take it out of his crate and  feed it
to the good eater and let him watch <G>.  (Don't anybody get  on my case re
food aggression, I want an old dog to eat.)

You don't mention how old he is, but I'm guessing along  the way  somebody
ran him through the vet's. and that you've ruled out maybe he doesn't  feel
good.

Good luck:)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_ (http://www.geocitie
s.com/pinehillgsds/)