[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Food For Thought on Movement

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michel@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:01:50 -0800 (PST)

         A dog cannot "appear" to suspend ; either all four feet are off the
      ground or they're not.
         Carolyn

From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Food For Thought on Movement
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 8:30 AM

I have a question...

I haven't seen this brought up (though it may have - I have been busy here
the last few days)..

Since this is a handler oriented breed, what is the likelyhood that the
current movement in exhibitors is that "Why should a study the breed and HOW
it is suppose to move, when I can have so and so show the dog and finish
it?"

Rather than being a true student of the breed and understanding the breed,
the structure, the character, etc, people are looking for INSTANT
gratification and if that means we breed to so and so to get winners and
send the dogs out with so and so, they will win and that's all that counts?

There is a little of that mentality in most breeds these days (rather than
develop a line, let's just produce winners)..

I am constantly amazed when I sit down with people - successful or not, how
few people actually understand what they are looking at in a dog. I also see
alot of fault finding and very few folks that can appreciate the good in a
dog..

Right now, it kind of scares me that we are losing "real" dog students...
That's where the old dog men were the best. Yes, they were political, the
old boys club, etc., but those folks understood DOGS and took the time to
learn and study their dogs and other folks dogs.

Ah well, sorry kind of random - I just was throwing those thoughts out
there.

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/
OST is Copyrighted 2009.  All material remains the property of the original

is Copyrighted 2009.  All material remains the property of the original

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.