[ SHOWGSD-L ] Food For Thought on Movement

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:30:30 -0600

I have a question...

I haven't seen this brought up (though it may have - I have been busy here the
last few days)..

Since this is a handler oriented breed, what is the likelyhood that the current
movement in exhibitors is that "Why should a study the breed and HOW it is
suppose to move, when I can have so and so show the dog and finish it?"

Rather than being a true student of the breed and understanding the breed, the
structure, the character, etc, people are looking for INSTANT gratification and
if that means we breed to so and so to get winners and send the dogs out with
so and so, they will win and that's all that counts?

There is a little of that mentality in most breeds these days (rather than
develop a line, let's just produce winners)..

I am constantly amazed when I sit down with people - successful or not, how few
people actually understand what they are looking at in a dog. I also see alot
of fault finding and very few folks that can appreciate the good in a dog..

Right now, it kind of scares me that we are losing "real" dog students...
That's where the old dog men were the best. Yes, they were political, the old
boys club, etc., but those folks understood DOGS and took the time to learn and
study their dogs and other folks dogs.

Ah well, sorry kind of random - I just was throwing those thoughts out there.

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/