[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Follow up: Horrified owner, kids see shepherd kill their little pet

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:06:59 -0700 (PDT)

Here is what I sent to Kim:
Hi Kim, I felt compelled to drop you a note to express concern over your use of
the breed name "Shepherd" to describe the mixed breed dog that horrifically
attacked and killed the poor little Pomeranian. I know that you might not think
such a small detail is important or worthy of some type of retraction, but as
the owner of a German Shepherd and member of the German Shepherd Dog Club of
America and German Shepherd Dog Club of Memphis, I can not tell you how much
breed specific legislation is effecting dog ownership today. This especially
applies to owners of dogs that have the reputation of being aggressive. The
majority of these targeted breeds are owned by kind and responsible people and
hence the dogs are kind, trained and 'responsible' themselves. It only takes a
few idiots to ruin it for everyone. City after city are targeting so called
dangerous dogs by enacting breed specific legislation. It is making it very
hard to even own certain breeds of dogs in many cities. So,
  while a
 retraction of the term 'shepherd' would be really cool, I understand that it
might not be feasible. At a minimum I hope that the above information might
cause you to give pause the next time you run such a news story. Thank you for
your attention. Regards, Cynthia Van Den Berge

ricknaudra@xxxxxxx wrote:
I sent an email to the young lady who wrote this article and here was her
response...
If there is anyone else out there on ?Da List? that would like to send an email
to Ms. Smith or the editor it would be greatly appreciated.
http://mail.yahoo.com